Notices

Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome

Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome

I just wanted to hear from others who have went through this. What were the physical feelings you went through? When did you start to see improvement? I'm feeling much better these days, but still have my off days.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

my PAWs was not an on going thing - I had episodes of a few days here and there...

I was generally acting out of character, easily overwhelmed and fearful, confused, tired beyond explanation, yet not sleeping well.

did you ever see a Dr BGS?

D
Old 02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Had some mostly mild stuff the last time that went away after a couple months. Exercise and eating well (health) helped. We'll see what happens this time (went back to drinking for about a year with 1 and 1/2 dry). I do think it varies a lot depending on the individual. Congrats on the 6+ months.

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 02-01-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

About 2 months in I began to feel extreme fatigue, kind of like a 'buzzing' in my brain, and always felt like I was on the verge of nausea. If I had to compare it to anything, it felt very similar to when I had a concussion. Sudden noises sounded louder than they really were, I was sensitive to light.

Emotionally, I was agitated, easily annoyed, resentful. It was hard to know how much of it was as a result of feeling physically like poo.

This lasted a few weeks until it lifted and I had few weeks reprieve. Now for the past few days I've been feeling a more subtle version of it (foggy, fatigued, like I'm not 100% present). I've accepted that this will be an ongoing thing, with my good days and bad days. Even my worst PAWS symptoms so far are nothing compared to my hangovers.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by midgetcop View Post
About 2 months in I began to feel extreme fatigue, kind of like a 'buzzing' in my brain, and always felt like I was on the verge of nausea. If I had to compare it to anything, it felt very similar to when I had a concussion. Sudden noises sounded louder than they really were, I was sensitive to light. Emotionally, I was agitated, easily annoyed, resentful. It was hard to know how much of it was as a result of feeling physically like poo. This lasted a few weeks until it lifted and I had few weeks reprieve. Now for the past few days I've been feeling a more subtle version of it (foggy, fatigued, like I'm not 100% present). I've accepted that this will be an ongoing thing, with my good days and bad days. Even my worst PAWS symptoms so far are nothing compared to my hangovers.
midgetcop, I to have been extremely fatigue and have the buzzing in my head! I tried to tell my husband about it and he looked at me like I was crazy...glad to see I'm not the only one. I started my sobriety with lots of energy the first few weeks and then it seemed to go away..my energy is so gone.. not sure why...but happy to be 32 days sober just working thru the tiredness/no energy
Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really started feeling better at month 8, until that point I would have days that I can only describe as mini detox days. I would have anxiety, be sensitive to noise, was angry, my heart rate would elevate, couldn't sleep but was tired. This was not continuous and not everyday. The longer I got into my sobriety the less and less days like this happened. It can be a long journey but with time and patience you will get there. Hang in there.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure if what i'm going thru is paws, but I'm extremely irritable, tired, confused, sometimes get dizzy spells, sensitive to some noises.
I'm going thru an outpatient treatment center right now for my anxiety and depression. I'm probably experiencing the paws, but i think I've got things going on that may run a little deeper. Trying to get those figured out.
Hang in there.

God bless.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yea I've been seen at the doctor. Everything was good. Just anxiety time to time and going through paws. I just wanted to hear others experience with this.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anyone else?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

I used to really have issues with "looking" for things or PAWS or anything else that might be related to recovering. I found when I looked I could always attribute issues to this. For ME, when I just stopped "recovering" and "monitoring" all the time and just started living I then recovered. I spent years doing the former and it didn't work for me. Most of the feelings that I have/had before and after were pretty much the same as anyone else. I just poured alcohol on them and that really made a mess. Without the alcohol things cleared up, but the feelings are still there. I just don't pour alcohol on them and don't attribute them or any anxiety to alcohol use before short of the period of detox.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will never forget mine!

I had it from about 5 1/2 to 7 months. I remember sharing in a meeting one night about how I no longer craved alcohol and about how my recovery was going so smoothly. The following day- PAWS.
I would get a shock like feeling if I moved my head too fast (I called them the Zaps). I quit sharing at meetings because I couldn't get one sentence to follow another. Heck, three words that made sense together felt like an accomplishment.

There were times of continuous long term confusion too. I also thought I was developing autism because I couldn't read emotions on people's faces.

I developed really bad ADD (to which I now still have to deal with but it's better now with treatment). And when I say bad ADD - I would leave the boss's office with a direction to do one single thing right away and not only would I forget what it was, I forgot about our meeting altogether. I would get so angry with myself as I was a mistake machine at work. I had lists in every pocket and had to write everything down.

I knew it was PAWS, thank God, or I may not have survived it sober. Knowing it wouldn't last forever I tried very hard to take it for what it was and not let it get to me. Luckily it was salmon season so I got to spend my downtime fishing.

Then, one day it was just *poof* gone! I can tell that my brain is still rewiring itself and am often pleasantly surprised at what I can do now. I still have my occasional moments.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good thread. At 6 months, I'm still having good/bad days with PAWS, but the bad days are starting to abate. Like St. Pete, my ADD, which I've always had, has been much worse. I constantly walk into a room and don't know why, and I have trouble keeping my thinking linear. But, I've learned to slow down. I no longer have to rush through everything to get to my drinking/drugging. I can take more time, and take pressure off. I also hope to soon reach the point of totfit, where I can stop that additional layer of awareness when I'm looking for recovery symptoms and realize I'm just like other non-drinkers, or non-alcoholics.

Finally, it seems my tolerance of other people is waxing and waning. Hopefully its improving, but my patience has been a bit short lately. I'm thinking an inventory is in order to figure it out.

Enjoy the sober weekend!