Notices

3 days sober & insomnia/anxiety has me underwater

Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

the unity club has meetings throughout the day!
Unity Club -- Home
Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace4 View Post
Hi Shane,
My husband has attempted to quit several times (longest was 2 weeks)...He complained of sleep problems and was up with night sweats, night terrors, the whole bit. Psychiatrist prescribed gabapentin at first (helps with anxiety) and now camprol to help with the sleep. Everyone is different, but he's sleeping MUCH better. Still struggling with the fully quitting part, but at least there's sleep.

Be careful with Ambien as it's a controlled narcotic and can be addictive if used for more than two weeks. Good luck and stay strong!

Thanks. Yeah I HATE the idea of taking Ambien. Ive been getting hypnic jerks/sleep apnea associated jerks that jolt me awake as soon as I am drifting off for past 3 weeks. Even the last couple times I drank before quitting for good 1/30, I would get the jerk-awakes. They started after a prolonged drinking session 1 night followed by a dry night the next with no sleep at all. I was awake 44 hours before I got to my doctor. Anxiety-Insomnia-Anxiety from not drinking-Insomnia vicious cycle. Hence the Ambien. I try each night to sleep natural, and after about 2 hours of jerk-awakes/anxiety I take the Ambien. Who knows, maybe tonight is my lucky night and sleep comes naturally...PLEASE!!!! I took longer walk than usual, so extra tired.

Also doctor mentioned sending me to Psychiatrist for long-term medication (depression) which honestly I cant wait to get started on. Ive had anxiety/depression really since puberty. Always passed it off as shyness or whatever, then came college and alcohol drowned all that stuff. Ive realized I just continued that lifestlyle since college and now am G-D ready to tackle what led me to drink in 1st place. Only problem is doctor progression is slow, I need to be patient. But its hard.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thx for info Sugarbear!

Gotta admit Im disappointed in myself, as I still havent made it to a meeting. I will try again tomorrow.

My family has been very supportive, but in their supporting they have been burning a lot of my day time with long-long conversations & time spent together etc (2 hr phone convo with Sis today, luv her). Ive yet to regulate my sleep as Insomnia is still crippling me, so I take the sleep when I can, and today it was 9am-3pm. I dont mean those as excuses, but more that even as I havent made a meeting, I am seeking & recieving support where I can.

Thank you for your posts and support! They help so much.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hope you can get the sleep you need soon. I've had many sleepless nights in the past too and they really do wear on you. Your mind will start playing tricks on you. Don't drink or you'll have to start this all over again. Hang in there!

God bless.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

just stay stopped one day at a time!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
Thank you all for the encouraging words and for sharing your own experiences. Every time I come to this site I get excited about moving forward sober.

If I can sleep tonight (lame excuse, I know), I hope to find a nearby Beginners AA meeting for tomorrow.

I really hope my sleep pattern evens out soon. Im pumped to move forward with my life in recovery and finding new job etc, but feel a little like Im running in place because insomnia/anxiety has me as I said in thread title, underwater.

Ive been dipping into the chat room here at times as well...hope to see some of you there.
hello Shane

I love the first paragraph of your post. I also got really excited coming to SR when I first stopped drinking. I still do although I don't get on here as often.

good luck with your recovery
Old 02-04-2012, 01:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

ShaneW, don't hang back from AA in shyness or worry about crying at the meeting.

You will not find a more welcoming and supportive bunch of people, and believe me they have all seen grown men cry and fall apart, and they have all been there falling apart themselves. There is always a box of tissues somewhere in the room!

I was so happy to read about your brisk walk, and things getting a bit better. Hang in there and you will keep getting healthier and happier!

Sending you good thoughts and a cyber-hug this morning!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As always, thanks for the replies, shared stories & support. Im feeling less anxious and healthier, but still having a hard time getting to sleep once in bed with lights out. (check the post time on this 255am...haha).

Lengthening my walk each day and eating much-much better. Mental note: buy a scale, so I can further see evidence of better living. Being a fat drunk I hadnt owned a scale in years.

Spent most of the day (well, actually afternoon since I didnt get to sleep again till about 8am and slept till 230) shopping for new mattress, as the hand-me-down 20+ year old bed def is not cutting it now that Im trying to sleep rather than pass out.

I still intend to get to a meeting. My days are so short due to sleepless nights, ahh crap I gotta stop making excuses or whatever. Anyways, gonna try and sleep again. Got my 6-pack of diet sunkist ready to go for superbowl!!

gnight all
Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad to hear you're still sober! Your sleep will come back! I suggest you invest in a water filter container and reduce all carbonated beverages & increase water consumption! The meetings are still available, when you're ready to get there.

Enjoy today!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The first week after rehab I think I managed maybe 15 minutes of sleep. I was starting to hallucinate, my eyes felt like they were bulging out of my eye sockets, nerves, anxiety, feeling like the whole house is going to fall right on top of me.

My psychiatrist gave me medication which at first gave me muscle twitching which freaked me out even more and I called her and left a msg. She called me back right away, even though it was 10 pm.

Eventually we came up with the right prescription that helped my sleep, bad anxiety and depression.

The "not being able to sleep" is horrible. I felt like a person could actually go insane without getting sleep.

Good luck,
Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I CREATED THIS THREAD when I was 3 days sober in Feb 2012. I AM STILL SOBER TODAY. This post right here helped give me the courage to go to a real meeting.

"I've found that growth comes from getting out of my comfort zone." -Jocata

I still average four AA meetings a week. I sponsor men in AA. I work part time in a 30-day alcohol/drug treatment center (I am a full time college student as well), and whenever I speak to a group of addicts/alcoholics I reference this post.

THANK YOU JOCATA, your words poured gasoline on that spark of willingness I had inside, and after going to my first real AA meeting that spark grew into a bonfire of hope.

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
Hang in there Shane. It will get better over time. Early sobriety is scary. We are learning to deal with emotions that were numbed with alcohol. There are many programs people use to stay sober and live healthy lives. A support program is very helpful.

I know how you feel about the anxiety. I suffer from it too. I am learning to meditate, but my thoughts race so much that it's hard to just "be." It takes some practice I'm finding out, but so does just about anything worthwhile. Journaling helps too.

The reason AA helps me so much is that I get to listen to what others have struggled with and the solutions they have discovered. You can also share when you get comfortable enough about what is going on with you. If you have an open mind, you can get alot of positive feedback. May be worth a shot. I have found that growth comes from getting out of my comfort zone. It's not alwasys easy, but what I learn from it is very valuable.

Read and post here often. Hang tough.

God bless.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 4+ years of sobriety ShaneW nice to meet you
Old 06-08-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Oh, how I love a good happy ending! What an awesome, inspiring update, Shane; I'm so glad I followed this post all the way to the end. I'm positive you've provided a welcome beacon of hope to a lot of struggling people here!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Shane, I am SO GLAD that you posted!!!!!!! Congratulations and thank you so much for the inspiration and for showing us that this CAN be done.

Early sobriety is tough, indeed, but by pushing through and doing what it takes a much better life is ahead!!!

So happy for you.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful to hear, Shane. You're doing so much to help those just starting out on their journey.