SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   To Go or not To Go that is the question? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/247699-go-not-go-question.html)

ElegantlyWasted 02-01-2012 02:09 PM

To Go or not To Go that is the question?

10 days as of today.. Superbowl Party coming up with a few friends. Haven't told anyone yet that I'm committed to not drinking indefinitely, don't really feel like it yet either. I know I could get through It, but people would question me not slamming beer as usual and I know I will likely still feel a little discombobulated and edgy. I've been holed up for the last 10 days trying to study for a test and do feel like I should get out.

Bikeguy 02-01-2012 02:14 PM

I would stay as far away from that action as possible. Stay at home this year, cook some good food or order out and kick back and enjoy the game and commercials without having to dodge beers.

Sapling 02-01-2012 02:19 PM

I go by the rule that it if it is something that I have to be there...I'll be there. At 10 days...I'd pass. But I quit drinking for good. I'm going to a superbowl party...With a bunch of people from AA. It will be the first one I've seen sober since I was a kid.

Wasted 02-01-2012 02:22 PM

I would go - and just have an excuse ready as to why you are not drinking.

recoverywfaith 02-01-2012 02:28 PM

People, Places, and Things.

desertsong 02-01-2012 02:32 PM

I'm 33 days today, and although my husband and I have received a couple of party invites, I'm not going (he can if he wants to). The pressure to drink would just be too strong for me right now, and I have friends who don't know I have a "problem." With everyone else drinking and trying to push drinks on me, I'm not sure I'd have the resolve to stay away from "just one."

If I were you, I'd stay away from it this year and plan on next year. But that's just me. :)

Dee74 02-01-2012 02:38 PM

I reckon there are other ways to get out than going to a Superbowl booze up EW.
just sayin' (™ Stugotz) :)

D

ElegantlyWasted 02-01-2012 02:40 PM

"i presume you own a television" Indeed I do!:tapping

LosingmyMisery 02-01-2012 02:59 PM

Oops...from the way your posts reads, you've already made up your mind to drink. Hopefully I'm mistaken.

Purplecatlover 02-01-2012 03:02 PM

You may think you're strong enough, but the alcoholic mind can be very strong especially if tempted. You know the saying, you play with fire, you will get burned. Is it worth the guilt, shame, & disrespect for yourself if you fail? You've come too far to go back there. IMO I wouldn't test the waters just yet. They might scald you.

scrambled2012 02-01-2012 03:09 PM

Get out indeed even before Sunday; go for a hike or check out some big store filled with unusual things. My sense is, though, that you should dodge the party this one year, so that you can look back next superbowl sunday and see how far you've come.

Mark75 02-01-2012 04:09 PM

Would you enjoy it? Not drinking and all... I believe you if you say you could get through it dry, but would you, at the end of the day, have a good time?

If yes, well go.

If not, watch it somewhere else.

ElegantlyWasted 02-01-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks Mark; you hit it on the head. If I can relax into it and have a good time w/out drinking I do want to go, but not at the expense of compromising myself. I'm trying to figure out if I'm ready.

oct11 02-01-2012 04:31 PM

Personally I am saying no the the superbowl invites.. I don't think I could do it.. I was 40days sober before Christmas, now I am on day 3 again!!!!!

flutter 02-01-2012 05:10 PM

Skip it.. I bet you wont wake up the next day and think 'damn.. I wish I would have gone'. Could be one of many many self preservation successes to come. I think you already know the answer to this, it's ok to take care of yourself ya know?

Dee74 02-01-2012 05:24 PM

I see it this way...this is what I needed to say to myself back in the day.

you've been here a few years...you've come and gone...just recently spent over a year drinking, you're on day 10, and you've intimated several times you're not exactly sure what the future holds for you and drinking yet.

I guess you have to weigh up how important this game is to you (and I know, it's not just the game)

Personally, I think this is one of those crossroads moments, man.

D

masanori 02-01-2012 05:38 PM

I've only been here a couple of days and I've read several stories of people who have lost very long quits because someone had and gave them their drug of choice one day. Next thing you know, they are heavily drinking/using again. It's like some people secretly enjoy seeing other people fail. So sad.

Imagine being at the party and people are drinking and having a wild time. You know people are going to constantly be pushing drinks your way. You have nothing to gain by going and your sobriety to lose.

If I were you, I'd pass this one.

UofI2008 02-01-2012 06:30 PM

Don't do it. Take it from experience.