SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello everyone (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/247670-hello-everyone.html)

Imthatguy2012 02-01-2012 09:17 AM

Hello everyone

Hi everyone. I'm new here i've decided that after drinking heavily for over ten years that it's time to make a change. I've ruined more than enough relationships and jobs because of it and i need move on and do better things with this life. It know this isn't going to be easy but i'm not sure how hard it will be and that scares me. Finding things to do besides drink with all my free time will be tough. But i basically just wanted to say hello and thank you for reading :)

Bikeguy 02-01-2012 09:24 AM

Congratulations on your decision to quit and welcome to Sober Recovery!

Onewithwings 02-01-2012 09:31 AM

Welcome to SR, and hang in there!!

Fubarcdn 02-01-2012 11:30 AM

:welcome to SR
You have made a good start.
I was just writing about the same thing in my class thread. That I have to find other things to do to fill the void.
I haven't done that and so far it has lead me back to the bars.
So try to concentrate on doing that and so will I.
Good luck.

flutter 02-01-2012 11:55 AM

Welcome :)

soberjim 02-01-2012 11:58 AM

Congrats...Lot of info and support here.

Jim

Dee74 02-01-2012 12:12 PM

Hi and Welcome Imthatguy :)

You'll find a lot of help, support and ideas here - you're not alone :)

D

micealc 02-01-2012 12:13 PM

If you need support we are always here.I thought when I gave up Alcohol I would have So much Time on my Hands.Im so busy now I would not have time to Drink.
My drinking years were a Waste of Time....the only lesson I learned was........I never grew up Emotionally,one second.
But TG its never too late to continue Growing again.....Its been 25 years sense I picked up an Alcoholic Drink.....It can be Done.I attend Meetings for Support and to help others.........................Good Luck to you.

Zebra1275 02-01-2012 02:00 PM

Welcome to SR!

Hevyn 02-01-2012 02:14 PM

It's great to have you with us, I'mthatguy. SR helps alot with the anxiety you may be feeling. Proud of you for making this decision - you're going to have your life back.

artsoul 02-01-2012 06:38 PM

Welcome, I'mthatguy -

I was scared at first, too..... I had to take it one day at a time and get a lot of support. I found out there really is a world out there that doesn't revolve around alcohol and it's nice to be connected again.....

Glad you're here!:c031:

Imthatguy2012 02-01-2012 06:44 PM

well i posted that message while i was on lunch at work today and now im sitting here at home to be honest i know i just started my road to recovery but this afternoon/evening has made it hard a nice one, two punch in the face. first i find out that my job is having a meeting with me in the morning about performance (for the record i have not drank on a night that i had to work the next day in over 6 months) and it was totally a surprise to me so i have that to deal with. Also my girlfriend of one year (who i want to marry) decided to break up with me today for what she says is the final time. We havent fought since new years, and yes alcohol was involved on my part, but i thought we were doing well. She told me she deserves someone who loves her more than alcohol and clearly im not that person. I kind of had a feeling she was going to tell me im not the guy for awhile so thats why i made my name on here imthatguy2012 because starting here in 2012 and going forward i want to be that guy. So after just finding SR and support and hope i came home to both of those things. Im sober right now, i poured everything down the drain. but to make things worse my girl is out right now and im home alone. thank you for reading.

Dee74 02-01-2012 06:50 PM

That sounds like a rough day day, guy - I'm sorry.

But you're right - you can still be that guy, even with these blows....

I think your decision to stop drinking is still a great foundation for your plan to make 2012 to be your year...there's still 11 months of it yet :)

D

Imthatguy2012 02-01-2012 07:12 PM

thank you i appreciate it, it just makes it hard to talk to anyone especially when the one i would talk to wont talk to me (ex). my father and brother are both afflicted with this disease too but wont admit it. Heck i just got off the phone with my brother asking me to go out to a bar with him so we could talk. and my mom goes to bed at 7pm because shes been sober for 16 years now and my dad starts to drink at 7pm. sigh... i think this place will be great for me thank you for allowing me to be here and learn and relate. i never realized i had a problem until i realized all the people who were saying it was ok for me to drink were my drinking friends... funny how that works huh?

nonblondechef 02-01-2012 07:24 PM

Hang in there, ITG - there are wonderful people here who will listen and inspire daily. Welcome and best of luck to you!

sissy07 02-01-2012 07:25 PM

Welcome!

Your Mom being sober for 16 years is a good thing - I hope that she can help you along the way with sobriety.

I am sorry that you are having to deal with two bad situations right now. Just remember that drinking will never make anything better.

I look forward to reading your posts. :)

Imthatguy2012 02-01-2012 07:34 PM

^once i feel more comfortable i will write more about my experiences i feel like this is a place where i won't be judged and will be taken seriously. Thank you also if i do feel compelled to write a complete testimonial is that frowned upon in any way (aka issues to avoid)? is there a certain place i need to write it in the forum?

sissy07 02-01-2012 07:39 PM

You won't be judged here, and probably any post you write can be outdone by many previous posts (in terms of shock value)! We are all here to help each other. It is working for me - I love this place!

rypen 02-01-2012 08:51 PM

Right on buddy, thats huge for you to want to make that change and taking some action to get on this site. Im in the same boat as you bud hang in there

jocata 02-01-2012 10:05 PM

Hang in there guy. You will find tons of support and advice here. Keep reading and posting.

God bless.