Notices

new sad and sick

Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new sad and sick

Hi I'm new here.
I didn't drink for a long time but last year I just started drinking wine now I'm drunk like 3 or 4 times a week. I am actually at work now and I'm so sick, in fact I think I'm still drunk. I don't remember last night, just going to a bar with a friend and that's all I remember. What is happening to me?

I tried AA but I found it very depressing and I'm not big on going to meeting things. I was sober for 20 years so I can't work out what's going on with me, why all the drinking? I drink at home or i go out with friends and get smashed. It started because i was depressed about my relationship ending but it's got worse and now it's a big out of control monster.

Anyway i hoping that my staying online here i will fine my way back to my sober happy life.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. This site has been a lifesaver for me. Keep reading and posting.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family sickchick. You're no longer alone. We all understand how you're feeling. I drank all my life and when I found SR I had sunk to a new low. I was drinking around the clock, my life was in shambles.

I was amazed at how many people here had been through exactly the same thing - even worse. As I read their stories and suggestions, I began to calm down & feel less desperate. I received the encouragement and hope I needed to stop poisoning myself. I hope you find the support and help you need to get well. We're all here to help.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Ditto what Tres said. I did do AA for a while, got a lot out of it and met some really good people, but it's not my go to plan this time. Lots of great resources here.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Make it through this workday, go home, shower, try to eat, grab a cup of coffee and log back in. Hevyn descibed this site well.

Welcome~~~!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome sick chick,
I to went back to drinking after 8 years and the first night I drank a whole fifth of snaps on my ride home from work. The desease had progressed with time in my abstinence. This seems to be the nature of the beast. I feel for you, I am glad you are her now rather then later. Everyone is a great help here. stay in touch.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sickchick

I was sober for 20 years so I can't work out what's going on with me, why all the drinking?
A lot of us here believe that alcoholism is progressive - it gets worse the more the years go on.

A lot of us started drinking for 'something' but soon found that the drinking problem stayed with us, even after the original 'something' had disappeared

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I'm assuming that Perth is Western Australia?
there are some Aussie links in that thread too

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

I think the main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is to do something.
Coming here is a good start - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome sickchick -

Sorry you're going through this, but glad it brought you here..... I remember asking "why?" so many mornings, too. Never have gotten an answer to that one (well, except for being an alcoholic).

There's a lot of support and inspiration here. You can do this!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome sickchick I too relapsed in 2006 after 6 years of sobriety (went on a 5 year blackout bender)~now I'm sober over 10 months. I hope this site helps you as much as it does me. Best wishes to you, please read & post lots
Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sickchick,

I found this site April 2010, and it's saved my ass. Plenty of support and insights on different recovery methods.

After years of sobriety, I too, began to drink over a failed relationship.

it's powerful you already know what you're missing;

Anyway i hoping that my staying online here i will fine my way back to my sober happy life.

....your "happy sober life"

Hang in there
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finmywayback View Post
I to went back to drinking after 8 years and the first night I drank a whole fifth of snaps on my ride home from work. The desease had progressed with time in my abstinence. This seems to be the nature of the beast.
This scares me.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sickchick, this site has kept me off crack for almost 5 months. I hang here as much as possible.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrambled2012 View Post
This scares me.
Me too. But I'm working on being brave, and am not drinking tonight.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the great welcome, support and advice. MsJax you have truely frightened me!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi SC, it was so odd, it was truly as if even though I was sober for those 6 years somehow my alcoholism had progressed. I had become complacent about my alcoholism, & that coupled with extreme work & personal stress~I picked up again. My recovery is different this time though, solid, & it seemed my admission back in March that my life was a total disaster & a sort of knocked down humbled feeling saved me. Hard to explain. Knowing if I drink again I will die, I do live one day at a time in sobriety, confident I will not drink again.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi there! Happy you are here! I don't know what I'd do without all the wonderful people here!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome sickchick...a bad break up led me to start drinking excessively too..I didn't want to actually deal with stuff so numb away I did. I was considering AA but didn't go. I have a wonderful therapist, have been working closely with my PCP and visit SR everyday. There are many ways that stay sober, you just have to find what works for you.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome xx
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome sickchick! Staying sober would be the best decision you every made in your life. Best wishes.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Failed relationships are huge triggers for many people; it was for me too. After living in the same neighborhood and shopping at the same supermarket for over 15 yrs., my wine consumption shot through the roof after my wife and I separated.

I was attending night school during that time and after class, I would stop by the supermarket and buy one of those super large bottles of Merlot or Cabernet. One evening, one of the clerks asked me what was wrong? He had noticed the change in my purchases.

It doesn't help that many television programs show educated, successful, well adjusted people drinking wine all the time. Shows like parenthood, the good wife, etc. glamorize wine and so, I felt like I was in good company. I'm so happy I don't see it that way anymore.

Lets all get better together.