Notices

Help!!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!!!!

I have only been drinking for a year, but I drank VERY heavily for 4/5 weeks. But, thankfully I have been totally clean from any alcohol for two months.

However, I still feel very depressed and my brain is only getting slightly better. But, my main problem is accessing my long term memories from childhood/ past.

Therefore, does alcohol affect your LONG LONG term memories and do they ever come back? Also does the depression wear off?

Someone help?!:rotfxko
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome 211648!

From what I've read, it can take a year or even two to completely recover. I definitely noticed my thinking continued to improve even after a year sober. I also had to get help with depression, so you might want to talk to a doctor about that if you haven't already.

Do you have any support system in sobriety? That can also help.....

Glad you've joined us and congrats on your 2 months - that's a real acheivement!!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, its been hell!

About the memories though, have you experienced any problems trying to access family events e.c.t even when you were not drinking?

Thanks for the response
Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

You know I still don't have very good memory of my life up till the age of 10. I took my first drink at the age of 3. I am not sure if that is the reason or some of the trauma that I endured as a child. I know that my memory isn't near as good as it used to be. I also know that your memory does get better the longer that we remain sober and clean.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome 211648
After 20 years my long term memory's pretty shot although I think it's all still in there somewhere.

I can't give you any definitive answer, but I know the sooner we quit, the better

D
Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

211648: Around 40 years of periodic drinking didn't seem to affect my long term memory. Indeed, sometimes I wish I didn't remember so much of the past. Short term memory has become less efficient (i.e. takes more time to retrieve some items) but I think that is more a product of age (85). Best way to check this is to consult a physician. There are likely methods to assess brain damage. With sobriety I would think the difficulty, if there is one, would lessen.

W.