Notices

Superbowl

Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Superbowl

Good morning eveyone! Well today is day 5 for me and first off I feel great. A bit foggy still but otherwise great. So I am a diehard New England Patriots fan and Superbowl Sunday is going to be great but..... I already know I am not going to drink because like I said b4 all I will be doing is making a excuse to drink. I went and bought ground beef, lettuce, tomatoe, hard/soft taco's Tacobell mix... Okay, lol all the goodies to make tacos for my son and I and other goodies minus the devil.... ---> alcohol! Oh did I mention all different kind of juices? =)) Anyway, my friends, well some asked if they can come by and watch the game and I said no because I am going to my sister n laws home to watch it. "I lied" only because who am I to say come by but there will be no drinking or taking your own drinks. They will be bombed which I already know and who am I to say to grown ups they cant drink. I feel bad but.... I am thinking about ME. I know my friends and they will not respect my decision not to drink and keep coming saying "come on man have a drink its the SB". And thats what I dont want. Am I wrong for lying because all I want is my son, his mother and my team to win with no alcohol. I can invite my other friend because he does not drink but, the problem is we all know each other and it will get back to other and cause drama. So I am thinking stick to my plan and I lied for a good reason, not to make any of them feel like I was blowing them off. What do you all think? Am I doing the right thing? I would love to be with my friends on SB Sunday because a few are Giant fans and some of us are Pats fans so it would be fun but like I said I am not man enough to be around it for quite some time. I drive by the liqour store with my cup of coffee and say cheers with my hand out the window but its not in front of me, lol. So I feel it is a sincere lie. Well that makes no sense but you all know what I mean, right? Inputs are greatly appreciated! Have a good day everyone!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it took courage for you to say no. So it's a lie, did you tell lies when you were drinking? I don't think there's any shame in protecting your sobriety. I mean, we are told we have to do whatever it takes to stay sober. I think it's great you want to hang with your family and have your own sober Super Bowl party! Maybe right now isn't the time to tell the others about not drinking. Congrats on your decision!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do whatever ever you need to do... you get a pass this year... um, I mean for your not drinking plans... not for your Patriots though, because Eli is taking the Giants all the way ....

It gets better, it really does. Just put your sobriety first and you'll be fine. As time goes on you will get perspective and will know the right thing to do. And you will enjoy the game, even if this year it means watching it alone.

My close friends have a "pray for snow" party every year at the start of each ski season... the alcohol is always plentiful. At the last one? The host had a selection of great soft drinks... he didn't ask or make a big deal about it, they were just "there" in the fridge. It was no coincidence.

Go Giants!!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree. I think that there was nothing wrong with lying in this scenerio. We do what we must to stay sober, right? I'm sure your son is excited about spending the Super Bowl with his sober dad!! Good for you!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also agree!! And I think it is great that you have a plan of action!! Way to go!!! Enjoy the game!! Lind
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MINEr

This early in recovery, I think the little lie is OK, and as you progress, then when the next big event comes around, you would have had time to let people know about your lifestyle choices and won't have to.

Go Niners........