Notices

new here and to recovery

Old 01-30-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here and to recovery

The name's Jason, and I'm an alcoholic.

I'm a struggling alcoholic, father of two beautiful girls. Married for almost 2 years.

Yesterday and today have been especially hard in my recovery (today is day 6). I've been short-tempered and going the extra mile to make excuses to drink and/or miss meetings. In fact, today is the first day in almost a week I haven't made it to a meeting.

Sitting here tonight I find myself at a loss. I don't know what to do, or how to proceed. I see so many happy people that are deep in recovery, and I just don't see how it will fit into my life.

I'm really struggling tonight for sure. I have a couple people's phone numbers, but no sponsor yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and briefly introduce myself. By the grace of God I wandered across this site tonight. I look forward to being a part of such a large and great group of people.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm glad you found us, this site has been a huge asset to my recovery. Welcome and congrats on 6 days sober.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Luweez

It's a really great place to find. I myself stumbled on it while searching for withdrawl tips and it has made a big impact on my way to getting clean and how I am going to stay that way. Why not call one of those numbers you got?
You can do this
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jason

I didn't know how recovery would fit into my life either...I just took it a day at a time

As it turned out it was kinda the other way around - my life ended up fitting into my recovery - it's just a part of me now - it's not a chore or something I feel forced into

I'm sure you'll get to that point too
You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonD207 View Post
The name's Jason, and I'm an alcoholic.

I'm a struggling alcoholic, father of two beautiful girls. Married for almost 2 years.

Yesterday and today have been especially hard in my recovery (today is day 6). I've been short-tempered and going the extra mile to make excuses to drink and/or miss meetings. In fact, today is the first day in almost a week I haven't made it to a meeting.

Sitting here tonight I find myself at a loss. I don't know what to do, or how to proceed. I see so many happy people that are deep in recovery, and I just don't see how it will fit into my life.

I'm really struggling tonight for sure. I have a couple people's phone numbers, but no sponsor yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and briefly introduce myself. By the grace of God I wandered across this site tonight. I look forward to being a part of such a large and great group of people.

Well...You're here....And not drinking...I hope. Why not use one of those numbers...I was pretty antsy in my first week not drinking...But I was going to three meetings a day....I was grabbing on tight. If you are going to go the AA route......I guess you just have to get busy. How bad do you want it?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jason, that first week to ten days was the hardest for me, it gets easier
Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here Jason!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Jason - Congrats on 6 days! Getting through the first days/weeks isn't easy without a lot of support. I came here a lot and it really helped. I also had to remind myself over and over again what the consequences of drinking would be for me.

It really does get easier, though...... Glad you're here!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Well...You're here....And not drinking...I hope. Why not use one of those numbers...I was pretty antsy in my first week not drinking...But I was going to three meetings a day....I was grabbing on tight. If you are going to go the AA route......I guess you just have to get busy. How bad do you want it?
I am drinking... COFFEE! It's pushing midnight here, all my girls are asleep... I can't sleep for poo lately anyway, so I figure why not coffee?? Yes, I want it. I NEED it. It is time for change. I just need to get out of the fog that is my head and push forward and do what I know is right. Alcohol was destroying not only me, but my family as well. There is MUCH work to be done going forward.

Browsing these forums and reading from the Big Book has helped me this evening. Tomorrow, when it is a more reasonable hour, I will call the numbers. And will make certain to hit a meeting. I close the restaurant tomorrow... I KNOW I'll need a meeting before that, and then these forums afterwards!

For today, I know my head will hit the pillow a sober man yet again. For that I am grateful.

Last edited by JasonD207; 01-30-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: wrote money instead of meeting, lol
Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's good....I hope for you and your family you make it...The only thing that can hold you back...Is you.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by JasonD207 View Post
I am drinking... COFFEE! It's pushing midnight here, all my girls are asleep... I can't sleep for poo lately anyway, so I figure why not coffee?? Yes, I want it. I NEED it. It is time for change. I just need to get out of the fog that is my head and push forward and do what I know is right. Alcohol was destroying not only me, but my family as well. There is MUCH work to be done going forward.

Browsing these forums and reading from the Big Book has helped me this evening. Tomorrow, when it is a more reasonable hour, I will call the numbers. And will make certain to hit a meeting. I close the restaurant tomorrow... I KNOW I'll need a meeting before that, and then these forums afterwards!

For today, I know my head will hit the pillow a sober man yet again. For that I am grateful.
Those people gave your their phone numbers because they want to help you, they will not care what time it is as long as they help you to avoid picking up that first drink! Keep that in mind!