Notices

Just accepting not excusing

Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just accepting not excusing

My mom is seriously ill. That would have been a good excuse to drink but would have done her no good and just harmed me. All thinking has to change in recovery. Things will be what they will be. Drinking is only putting a blanket over the soul. Love all
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yep, excuse.. you're right. As far as I can remember, drinking never healed my loved ones, brought a relationship back together, brought me new friends, or made a money tree grow in my backyard. Glad you're thinking clearly, I'm sorry to hear about your mom.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

continuing prayers for you and your mom Fitz

D
Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I know what you mean, my mother's been in the hospital for almost 3 weeks now. I could not have made it this far if I was still in the cycle of my sickness. Having a rough time with this, but it sure beats killing myself, which I'm almost certain I would have done by now.
Congrats and I hope she gets well soon.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Great to hear you say that Fitz, and sorry to hear that your mother is ill, i will pray for her.

It is in times like this however, that we realize drinking will not help us!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a Cardinal fan, doesn't help me either
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heart goes out to you and Mom. When my son was in a coma a few years back i was there clean and sober. Which meant I was capable of doing what a real father needed to do. I was there- loving, compassionate, responsible. Only later did I realize that the program had given me all the tools needed to get thru this time. But I did know at the time that ppl loved me- lots of recovering addicts n alcoholics came to that hosp. What gifts we all had been given! what gifts we all were....
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

The worst is when you DO drink over that mess and it doesn't provide you any relief, you try to drink more and more and it gives you no relief. It's over. Alcohol did nothing but made me sick and dizzy in the end. A year long nightmare of sickness.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mycoolfitz,

I am so sorry about your Mom. Drinking would be the worst thing you could do right now, I know you know that, just had to say it. Sometimes life is painful. Love and positive energy is being sent your way. Take care of yourself (and your nose).
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Someone told me,

"That's not a good enough reason"...after I told them of my upset and thought to drink.

I think it is helpful to be able to have someone to call and tell them your plan of drinking as an option for dealing with upset emotions.

To have a voice of reason, when we are not inspired at all times, so that we don't pay for it with some sort of absurd action.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((Fitz)) - I'm sorry about your mom and lots of prayers coming your way.

In my recovery I've lost many loved ones. I have another one who is in really bad shape, but the greatest thing is? I'm the "support person" other relatives are turning to.

Long before my addiction took over (though I was drinking..just never crossed that line into alcoholism) my mom died. A few of my coworkers offered me valium to "help me through" and I refused. I didn't want to have to deal with the feelings later, as well as hating myself for numbing out when it happened.

Four years later? My dad had remarried and my baby stepsister died in a car wreck. Again, people offered me valium. Again, I didn't want to be numb.

Don't know what the hell happened AFTER all that, when I did become an addict, but at least then, I dealt with the feelings when they happened.

It hurts, going through illness or death of a loved one, it makes us want to run away, get numb, forget it all. In the long run, though? I'm really grateful that nothing like that happened when I was deep into using, because I've read here of people who are dealing with that, and it's not anything I'd wish on my worst enemy.

I'm really glad you're sober and posting here about it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Well done for thinking positively and staying strong for both yourself and her. My heart goes out to you both.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Fitz I hope things improve for your Mom
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry about you Mom, Fitz.....

I myself have been through the wringer with serious family-member illnesses; both as a drunk and in sobriety....

When I muddled through their angst and pain while drunk, it was all about me.

When I muddled through their angst and pain when sober, it was all about them.

I found it much better to be present and available in their time of need.

All my best....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My mom is doing a little better, we Irish Americans are tuff, and I wasn't going to drink, just said in the old daze would have been a good excuse, like holidaze and any other day. I'm doing good and appreciate the kindness and support of my SR family