Notices

employer making me tell coworkers my problem

Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

employer making me tell coworkers my problem

My ex-employer forced me to go to all of the people that worked for me when I got out of rehab and tell them that I had a drinking problem and was in rehab....... I am an alcoholic for sure. But was that necessary?? Has anyone else been put in that situation. It still bothers me. Was it right? Was it lawful? Or does it really matter?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know the answers to those questions, but if it is legal, it shouldn't be. I think I'd be looking for another job. What an asshat!

Oops, just realized you said ex-employer. Yeah, but he's still an asshat.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ryan,

Your ex-employer? Even, if it the current employer - I don't think it was appropriate. But, try and let it go. Focus on grattitue and sobriety.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

What a humiliating experience. I think that was completely out of line to make you do that. I'm glad this butthead is your EX employer - I wouldn't want to work for someone like that. It's tough enough dealing with this addiction without everyone you know (whether you want them to know or not) finding out about it. It will be much easier for you to continue with your sobriety away from the probing eyes of your ex co-workers.

Wishing you all the best on your journey to recovery.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Luweez

In Canada that would be illegal for an employer to do.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In New Jersey this goes against the HIPA law. I don't know where you are but you can google your state laws.

I'm sorry they did this to you!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I thought those things were to be kept confidential. Can't imagine what he hoped to accomplish by humiliating you ryan. I'm sorry it happened, & that you were hurt by it when you're trying to heal.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

that is CONFIDENTIAL medical information. It's the HIPPA law alright and completely illegal.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad they're an ex-employer.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How long ago was this Ryan?

D
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

You did it before researching your rights. Illegal, but you just went along. How did this person "make" you do this?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

How did he force you to do that? And, since he's an ex-employer, is that why you no longer work for him?

I think karma will take care of that man for you.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Contact an attorney.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Actually HIPPA is a Federal law and I suspect that this is a clear HIPPA violation. If it were me, I'd be talking to an attorney. That might be an over reaction on my part, but I spend a lot of time in the legal arena so that's how I think.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm curious too. How exactly did he force you?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, I would absolutely pursue legal action. A complete violation of medical privacy laws. So sorry you had to go through that! Seriously, though, I would really consider talking to a lawyer, especially if it had anything to do with why you left the job.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

oops, double post
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A previous poster was correct; the medical privacy laws are Federal (the same laws for all states). However, they're not HIPA, nor HIPPA; it's HIPAA (which stands for the American Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

You should see an attorney, tho. From my understanding, employers aren't covered under HIPAA. I believe those who must comply with HIPAA regulations are any healthcare entity that electronically processes, stores, transmits, or receives medical records, claims or remittances. The rules/regulations of HIPAA are to be followed by doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.

Regarding one's privacy, The Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals medical records and other personal health information. The Privacy Rule applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers that conduct health care transactions electronically.

The HIPAA Privacy Rule requires appropriate safeguards to protect the privacy of personal health information, and sets limits and conditions on the uses and disclosures that may be made of such information without patient authorization.

The Privacy Rule also gives patients rights over their health information, including rights to examine and obtain a copy of their health records, and to request corrections.

The above is just general information regarding HIPAA, therefore requesting specific information from a qualified attorney is best; an employer might fall into one of the above categories somehow..........who knows.........it's all greek to me............

(o:
NoelleR
Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ryan,

What the hell....you have got to be kidding me. I agree that you need to check the legality of this, and also examine why you went along with it. I hope that I would have told them to take a long walk off a short pier...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

you may be able to take action & prevent future abuse.

my sponsor reminds me I am an open book. I disagree, but I live on borrowed time. some things are confidential. maybe employer is one of us, old school.

best wishes on your sober journey!
hugs & love,