Notices

Just joined

Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just joined

Hey everyone!
I am new here. Just took what I think is a big step - admitting that I need help to stop drinking.
I am a mom of two and can't afford to drink - really takes time from my family. I don't drink every day but when I do it's hard to stop after just one or two drinks. Would end up finishing a bottle of wine by myself. sometimes would go for another one. I promised myself that I will no drink anymore but a couple of days goes by, I am having a bad day or we go out and I think that a glass of wine is ok and there it goes. I had a lot to drink last night and couldn't do any work today. no energy to play with my kids... i don't want to do this anymore. So here it goes - no more drinking for me!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

welcome, you did take a very big step in admitting that you think you have a problem. Please by all means use this board before drinking, the chats as well. We all are here to help each other stay sober.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Vanpol
you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Vanpol
you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome vanpol!

I know what it's like to be out of commission and feeling like you can't be the mom you need to be. I find that I don't miss those mornings at all!

It's great that you're joining us - I know I couldn't do it without daily support. Keep reading and posting!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome! Sounds like your drinking pattern was similar to mine (except I drank more).
Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you guys. i definitely appreciate the support. it so hard to admit i cant drink in moderation. keeps getting away from me. actually this last friday i got drunk at my husbands corporate party. could barely walk. so embarrassing. ok - let the count begin today is Day 1 - no drinking
Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Welcome! Sounds like your drinking pattern was similar to mine (except I drank more).
i was trying to limit how much i drink by not keeping alcohol at home. like when i went to a store i would only buy 1 bottle of wine. but every once in a while i would have horrible relapses when i would go for a beer the next day in the morning just to get rid of the headache
yesterday i had half a bottle of hard liquor... i don't want my son to see me like that
Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome vanpol.........we can all relate. You will find great support here!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

just the idea of never having another drink scares me and makes me want to back out... am i taking this too far? maybe i can still pull of moderate drinking? grrr... ok i figure it will be hard in teh beginning - when does it get easier?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's your mind messing with you.

Most of us have tried very hard to moderate our drinking, and usually getting worse in the process.

I'm glad you found us and that you have decided to live a sober life.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Moderation? You answer that question yourself?

Originally Posted by vanpol View Post
I don't drink every day but when I do it's hard to stop after just one or two drinks.
If you could have moderated your drinking, wouldn't you be drinking moderately? Yes, but you can't. Hence, you are here. To quit. Wishing you success.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome! I'm a mom too Your recovery is a wonderful gift, not only to yourself, but to your children.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you. i guess i am just feeling depressed today.. it should get better in a couple of days, right?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Yes, but the first week is going to be the hardest. You will probably feel sick and have trouble sleeping. But if you tough it out those things will go away and you'll start feeling like a new person shortly after that.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Van Pol,

Your drinking pattern sounds similar to mine. Yesterday, I decided to purchase one bottle of wine to drink while I cooked. I finished the bottle and I was still not finished cooking. I could not resist and went to the store to purchase one more. Woke up this morning feeling depressed and overwhelmed with guilt.

This pattern repeats itself over and over again. I find it impossible to drink in moderation. It's time to stop the madness.

Here's wishing you much success in quitting alcohol.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your great decision to quit alcohol to be with your kids. I apparently loved alcohol more than family and working hard to turn things around. Good luck
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

it started so similar to many by the way. i used to drink when we were out which was ok. then we had a baby. my husband works very late, so after i put the baby to sleep i would have a glass with a movie. that was 'me' time. after a while i was going through a bottle every night. and chasing it with shots. i clearly have a problem. i tried stopping so many times but always would start again soon after. i really think that joining this group will make a difference.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i also told my husband that i am stopping to drink. asked for support. he knows i have a problems but i don't think he realizes the extent of it.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by vanpol View Post
just the idea of never having another drink scares me and makes me want to back out... am i taking this too far? maybe i can still pull of moderate drinking? grrr... ok i figure it will be hard in teh beginning - when does it get easier?
A lot of people can drink and stop. I don't have that ability. Once alcohol enters my system, I am gone. I tried for so many years to prove that wrong. Just kept beating myself up time and time again.

When does it get easier? When you finally accept that you can no longer fool yourself into believing that you can beat it, and consequently, do whatever it takes to stay away from it.

Welcome.... it does get easier.