Notices

Just joined

Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by vanpol View Post
Can I come up with some sort of medical reason?
Yeah, tell them you are pregnant. Just kidding.

On a serious note, you do have a condition. One that can ruin your life, even kill. Do what you have to do to keep your recovery your number one priority. Either tell your family, or avoid them. But don't put yourself in harms way.

How to tell others you aren't drinking is a common thread post. You could look through past posts, or start a new thread. Lots of people will offer practical advice. I'm afraid I'm too hardcore (in case you can't tell) and don't much like excuses.

But I do wish you well.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Ok, it's day 4. So far so good I think I'm at a point where the detox part is done.. Now the trick is making it into a lifestyle
Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Good job - keep it up !!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

grrr..... just found out that one of our investments - the one we were planning to use for my son's surgery in a few years - lost 70% in value.... no idea how to pay for his surgery now.. And no idea how to deal with disappointment without alcohol. that was always my way of dealing with it... I know that going back to drinking will not get me the money to pay for my son's medical bills, and still... and I thought things were going so well..
How do you guys deal with life disappointments without going back to the bottle?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Life does not stop when you stop drinking, it will still happen. When bad things happen, you deal with them. I know it seems simple, but you are not the only one that is forced to deal with this issue. I'm sure your son and husband have to deal with the problem as well. Your family doesn't have the "escape" you are wanting to go back to, like you do. So, why be selfish and not face the issue and deal with it like your family has to?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I can totally feel your frustration vanpol.
I remember early into my sobriety I had a somewhat fight with my hubby that almost made me throw the towel in but I'm still here.
Find other ways to cope, that is the best way. I know it's hard!!
Our brains become so programmed to use alcohol to deal with everything and then when something unplanned comes up we're lost without our known coping device.
I promise, your son will thank you when he's older and he still has a sober Mom!
(I have a 6 yr old son btw)