Notices

Open for suggestions...please

Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can offer you two

1. don't drink no matter what
2. reach out and use all the support you have to help accomplish #1

It took me 15 years to get it through my thick skull too - I didn't really want to change my life, but I eventually, finally, accepted it was necessary - and I'm glad I did Tony - it was the making of me

welcome to SR
D
Thank you and I love how simple you put it!! If it took you 15 years, then I feel hope. Im happy for you. Keep coming back.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to. I work here

thanks Tony
D
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'll give you my top 2 daily rules.

1. Absolutely nothing in life can ever become as important to me as being sober. Nothing.
2. Every person, every place, and every thing that comes into my life experience simply must take second place to rule #1... no exceptions.

Someone here at SR told me this when I first joined, and when I read it I thought it was a very selfish thing to say. However, given a bit of an argument and some deep thought I came to realize how utterly useless/destructive I am to myself and everyone who loves me - when I'm drinking. Since that is absolutely the truth, if I was to ever again become someone worthy of love, respect, trust, faith, e.t.c... it was all contingent on my sobriety. So, in fact, those 2 rules are not selfish at all, they are exactly what is necessary in order for me to be selfless.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

In terms of simple, I'll tell you what my counselor told me. Here's the rules:

1. Do not buy alcohol
2. Do not accept alcohol given to you by anyone else.
3. Rid your home of alcohol

That's the easy part though.. the deep stuff is the actual work.. which is why I was seeing a counselor LOL
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to decide in my mind that drinking was no longer an option, no matter what, and then my mind started to find different and healthy ways to deal with life. It works.

1. Stay away from places where alcohol is present.

2. Never buy alcohol or allow it in your home.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Tony - You have some great suggestions & encouragement here. I'm glad you posted about what happened.

I drank all my life. It had once been a nice escape from reality - a way to hide from problems or challenges. Long after it was manageable, I kept trying to find the euphoria I'd once felt. I insisted I could use willpower to just have a few. It took me many years to finally admit I can't touch the stuff. I had to be brought to my knees to finally 'get it'.

When I look back now, I don't know why I clung to it so desperately. It meant nothing but misery in the end. Each time I picked up, dangerous & unpredictable things happened. Once I finally said no more liquor, ever - I was actually relieved. I hadn't been participating in life - was just phoning it in. It's been a joy to no longer be in a fog. I know you can throw the poison out of your life & have a brand new beginning, Tony. We're here to help you get there.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mynameistony View Post
BUT WHY CANT I STAY SOBER!!!!!!!
I would go back to the day I started drinking and ask why am i going to drink?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Tony - You have some great suggestions & encouragement here. I'm glad you posted about what happened.

I drank all my life. It had once been a nice escape from reality - a way to hide from problems or challenges. Long after it was manageable, I kept trying to find the euphoria I'd once felt. I insisted I could use willpower to just have a few. It took me many years to finally admit I can't touch the stuff. I had to be brought to my knees to finally 'get it'.

When I look back now, I don't know why I clung to it so desperately. It meant nothing but misery in the end. Each time I picked up, dangerous & unpredictable things happened. Once I finally said no more liquor, ever - I was actually relieved. I hadn't been participating in life - was just phoning it in. It's been a joy to no longer be in a fog. I know you can throw the poison out of your life & have a brand new beginning, Tony. We're here to help you get there.
thank you so much