Notices

Sobriety is Strange

Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is Strange

I wake up in the morning and decide what I need to do like chores and errands and responsibilities. Is sobriety finally being an adult.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing well, Fitz.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What to do with all the new free time you have? That's a good problem to have. Congrats.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exactly!!! We are growing! Alcohol only stagnates everything in our lives from relationships to personal growth.

Sometimes I feel like I'm getting the crash course though lol!!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do like having the free time, even if it means being bored lying flat on my back staring at the ceiling
Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking helped me " hide" from my problems or so I thought. Being sober is making me aware of how immature I had become. You can not grow if you're slowly killing yourself. It's nice to feel like an in charge adult again. I don't mumble & gripe about all I have to do. I'm thankful I'm alive, sober, & healthy enough to do it!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

After our women's AA meeting on Saturday, we all went out to breakfast and discussed exactly this topic. We all have so much free time on our hands now that we're not staying home and drinking all day! What do we do with it? (not a bad problem to have, actually!)

I know that if I stay home and be bored too much, I will be tempted to drink, so I'm doing all I can to keep my head and my body busy. Errands, cleaning, hobbies, exercise, etc. Been getting into some good books lately too. I also decided to look into a cooking school, which would be something fun and creative I can do outside the house as well as inside. Anything that keeps you moving forward and keeps your mind off of drinking is a good thing.

It's nice to feel like a grown-up again, isn't it?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never used to plan anything very far ahead, because I used to worry that I'd be too drunk or hungover to go through with it. But now I'm accepting invitations to anything - on Thursday night I'm going to some experimental music thing, which I'm sure will be TERRIBLE but will get me out the house. It just feels weird for me at the moment that I can actually think about the future, I can see that before, I never thought about it at all, which is terrible, really, isn't it?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do a lot of reading, playing with my puppy, SR , probably too much thinking. Need to do laundry but holding off. A work in progress
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I do like having the free time, even if it means being bored lying flat on my back staring at the ceiling

Naaaaa. Go outside, lie down flat on your back and look at ALL the pictures in the clouds.

Boredom dissipates!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Is sobriety finally being an adult.
yes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

this aspect came up this morning in my mediation and journaling.

I started using when I was a young child. I still am a young child. If I am generous, I estimate my maturity to be that of a seventeen yr old. In some areas i am more like four of five. I wish I was exaggerating.

When that dawned on me a few weeks ago I felt hopeless, how does one grow oneself up?

This morning I read on step seven. I use a wide variety of 12 step literature in my recovery. The reading from the "Pro-active 12 steps" spoke to me this morning.

It brought me back to an idea that has helped me much in recovery when I get "stuck".

Ask yourself what a hopeful person would do, and try that.

I have adapted that, inserting loving, brave, honest, etc. Today I inserted mature.

I had to behave as if I was mature when I was a kid, so now I want to do more than "fudge" it. I don't want to continue to pretend to be a grown up while still feeling and behaving like a little kid inside. So now, when I practice this exercise, I do it with intentinality, with love, hope, courage and honesty. I do it not as a form of running away, but as a practice in moving toward wholeness.

I believe that by doing this, I can truly mature.