Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I'm in my mid-30s and I've been drinking since college, moreso in the last 7-8 years, and even moreso in the past year. I've quit for a couple of months a few times, but have always returned to my pattern of drinking to pass out around 3-4 times a week. It used to take less than a bottle, but lately it's taken about a bottle and a half.

I quit briefly in December, but right after the new year, I found out my beloved kitty has a mass in her lung - we don't know what it is but I'm facing a lot of tough decisions about treatment and also the uncertainty of what will happen to her. Since learning this news, I have basically been on a bender, drinking every night because it's the only thing that makes me feel better about it. I realized late last week that this was actually increasing my anxiety and making me sleep-deprived and unable to function. I've been able to stay sober the past two nights and get a little more sleep, but it's really, really hard.

How do you guys get through these kind of stressful events without drinking? I am so used to blocking everything out that I don't even know what else to do with myself and continue functioning through all those awful feelings.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me personally I do whatever I can to just not pick up a drink. You have the ability to stay sober tonight. It's as simple as just don't drink.

There are a million options to sobriety and my way not be best for you. You could try AA or you could peruse the forums here for better ideas. Maybe you could check out the chat room. There are alot of people in there who would be willing to help. Hope my post helps and you get the help you need.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's really hard at first, but you can learn healthy ways to deal with life and its issues. Meditating can be very helpful and so can listening to good music. And, exercise is also a good thing to do.

Prayers for your cat!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Cracked, welcome to SR I got sober about 10 months ago, I drank to blackout/passout almost every single night towards the end.

One way to look at your grief over your cats health issue is that if you are sober you are much better equipped to take care of her properly no matter what comes along...One thing that makes me so happy about my sobriety is the ability to take excellent care of all my pets. Some of them require medications & if I'm sober I can make sure that happens exactly as it should. I always took good care of them even when I was a drunk, but it is so much better now & so rewarding.

Please keep posting. I hope it helps you. Best wishes
Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cracked

I used to keep guinea pigs - I nursed two when they reached the end of their lives.
I wish I'd been sober for that - and for a lot of other things to do with them besides.

it was 10-15 years ago but I still regret that.

I don't think there's any mystery to how we get through tough times - we just *do* - we're meant to be said, we're meant to be scared, we're meant to not feel good about it....but we come out the other end, and we move on.

I never made good decisions when I was drinking, and I never moved on...drinking kept me in a hazy holding pattern.

Sometimes feeling hurts - but I'd never go back

You'll find a lot of support here - you're not alone
best wishes for you and your cat - and welcome!
D
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really like what Dee said.

Drinking will just keep your feelings in holding pattern. When I finally quit drinking I felt like a piece of my life had literally floated by and I never really matured emotionally and let some stuff go.

Stop Know and end your suffering. Life sober is great and refreshing.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and prayers for your cat. I know how difficult it is seeing your pet have health issues. I think Dee said it best. You want to be there for your cat. No matter what happens you will be better able to help while sober. We're here for you!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks everyone. I never realized how much I was regulating my feelings. I'm not sure I've felt much in the way of any feelings for awhile (I don't count hysterical drunk crying over whatever). Is it normal to feel completely overwhelmed by it? Sometimes it's like I want to jump out of my skin because I don't know what to do with myself.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, cracked!

My emotions were all over the place when I first stopped drinking. You may be going through some withdrawal symptoms, too, which always increases the anxiety.

I found that I felt much calmer and had a clearer head (and a more positive one!) after 4 or 5 days of not drinking. And it just kept getting better from there.

Glad you've decided to join us.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey cracked, welcome.

I was a blackout drinker too. Couldn't take care of anyone or anything, including myself.

You found an awesome place for support.

God bless.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey cracked...It does feel awkward at first not to drink..the first week was toughest for me because I was flopping around in a sober world I didn't feel was reality ( I was still in a cloud). I'm only a little over 3 weeks in and I already feel better so just try and hang in there! And for the first week I cried everyday but forced myself to run, eat right and read self help books such as "the language of letting go". Now I still do all those things except cry everyday. Nights are the hardest for me as that's when I would be drinking so every night I make sure I have a good show lined up or movie to watch after the gym. Day by day my friend