Notices

Nightmares

Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares

Hi all. Just joined up here today as I really need some advise and support. I have been drinking for about four years very heavily. I drink about three bottles of wine EVERY night and always pass out. I really want to stop drinking. I am very strong willed so I just stopped drinking about a month ago....but only for one night. I had the most horrid, crazy, scary nightmares. I woke up about three times in the night screaming. I was like I was awake but I couldn't move and things were coming to get me. I thought maybe it was just bad luck so I tried not drinking again last night and this time is was worse. And today I'm just so frightened. I can handle shaking, sweating and all the rest but NOT the nightmares. Can anyone offer some advise PLEASE?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you need to go see a doctor and get help with detoxing. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like what you are doing, quitting cold turkey after very heavy drinking, is extremely dangerous, possibly deadly.

Please go see a doctor, tell him/her you need help quitting and be 100% honest about your alcohol consumption.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Katty
Welcome!

I didn't do anything but just..get through them...each night seemed a little easier to me, & after a week or so they faded and went away.

I always advise people to see a Dr too - I had a bad last detox...sometimes the nightmares, as horrific as they are, can really be the least of our worries.

D
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok. That sounds good to me. I will be very honest. I'm not ashamed. It is what it is and I have to stop. I've coped so well for so long. I'm in a relationship, go to work EVERY day, and cope day to day splendidly. I just want to stop for the medical reasons. Thanks for your advise.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I do stop cold turkey, how long will the nightmares last? If they only last a few days I'll see if I can handle it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I.ve been seeing a PTSD therapist for my nightmares. They still come but at least Im taking action. Take care
Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Meow

Katty - check out this thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow! I know I sound ignorant but that is quite fascinating, PurpleCat. Not to mention scary. I will be sure to see a doctor tonight.
MycoolFitz, are you finding the PTSD therapy is working for you?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eating sugary foods before bed will give nightmares too, i used to do it for entertainment in the navy while on 6 month cruises. (guess i was withdrawing as well tho)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katty View Post
Ok. That sounds good to me. I will be very honest. I'm not ashamed. It is what it is and I have to stop. I've coped so well for so long. I'm in a relationship, go to work EVERY day, and cope day to day splendidly. I just want to stop for the medical reasons. Thanks for your advise.
You are definitely on the right track Katty. We are all here to support you. Keep coming back to SR and read/post. It has been really helpful to me, and I think it can be for you too.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

nightmares are going to happen no matter what during withdrawl process. I had them horrible for about a week and then they slowly got lesser and lesser and now i havent had one in over 3 weeks. it sucks but it happens
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all so very, very much. Your support means so much. Have booked to see a Doctor tomorrow afternoon. Will see what they say about reducing the nightmares. I can't believe how bad they are. I'm still shaken up by it.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Katty, I had really bad nightmares for the first week or so too. It's pretty common. I know that doesn't make them seem less scary. But they should go away.

Hang in there.

God bless.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Katty!

Withdrawals do get worse over time, so definitely be watchful and see a doc if you need to. When I got sober for the third time, I had a lot of symptoms I'd never had before.

Welcome to a great community and congrats for getting sober!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Aha I remember those nightmares. It was only a week ago (I'm 7 days sober)! I remember that first night that anytime I would close my eyes it would feel like I was falling. Scared the s... out of me! I also did not sleep I guess more than about 5-6 hours total over a 4 day period, but that was just me.

But I got through it and so will you. Be sure to get some help as well, AA has been great help for me.

See your doctor!

Michael
Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. The nightmares, like Dee said, are really the least of your worries. You could easily have a seizure, a stroke, a heart attack or full blown DTs, any of which can kill you. This is why many of us stress that you see a Dr. to detox safely.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Yes, the others are right, and I know the nightmares may seem really bad, I mean I had gruesome ones where I've been killed or kill others (it is not in a pleasant way either) but they have subsided now that I am recovering better.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Katty

I had nightmares for the first 3 nights. So scary. I woke up sweaty and scared. They will eventually disappear. Sometimes I saw my cat in the room (even the door was shut)... he was not there in the reality.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
Katty

I had nightmares for the first 3 nights. So scary. I woke up sweaty and scared. They will eventually disappear. Sometimes I saw my cat in the room (even the door was shut)... he was not there in the reality.
Yes and cats are creepy enough even when we're sober! lol