Notices

Doing "Normal" Things

Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing "Normal" Things

I packed up a little lunch and a bone and my pup and I went on a hike, he did better than me, but sometimes it still feels strange to do normal things. We met some other people and dogs and just chatted or whatever dogs do and it was like being on earth again. I kept thinking like I should say Hi I'm Michael and I'm an alcoholic but I didn't need to. I wonder when I'll feel normal again. I was self consious but it was good. I think others here might relate. Why SR is important. My legs hurt. My heart feels pretty good.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sounds like a really nice day. It'll take a little time, but keep doing "normal" things and soon, it will come naturally to you. Glad you and the pup had a nice outing.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MyCoolFitz, seems like we had a similar day... except I have no dog to walk:-(
But I posted earlier something similar, it is weird being back in the real world doing normal things, we should just ride with it and enjoy it, but it'll take a long while to feel really normal
Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea, I think that for a long time the dis-ease felt normal so I think it's reprogramming. Plus I feel safe around other addicts and people with things like PTSD. I got very comfortable in treatment and that wasn't good. Today was just kind of real world and I didn't freak out. Though my legs still hurt. My pups asleep and I'm thinking hot bath. How long does normal take?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my coolfitz, your post gave me chills....I think it's awesome that you got out there and did something great for yourself and your canine pal In my opinion, life will never be normal (for anyone) But I believe we will adjust to sober life or "reprogram" as you say. Keep up the good work! A hot bath sounds super relaxing
Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

MyCoolFitz,

What a nice post to read. I just got back from a walk with my dogs too. Yeah, I don't know what normal is, but I think I might be getting a little closer too.

And I know what you mean about feeling comfortable around other addicts, etc. I don't think a non-addict could totally understand me. Sometimes I feel like I have this big secret, and so often I struggle with the whole concept of normalcy. I miss the rush, but normal is beginning to feel less boring, if that makes sense. I think I am learning how to live again, so I am just trying to go with the flow. I am glad you had a nice hike - yeah, a hot bath sounds great!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, it's not even boring it's just difficult. I was drunk off and on, mostly on for 50 years so it was my normal even though insane. I used to see people in a restuarant not get a drink or not finish one and I couldn't even understand. My entire being needs reprogramming. My dad gave me drinks as a kid and it just was part of my life and now I'm learning a new way of living. It's strange but human.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

How long does normal take?
About as long as a piece of string Fitz

Seriously - I'd never been an adult without being drunk or stoned - I had a lot of debris to clean up both in my life and my soul...it took me probably the first year to find 'normal' and then to feel comfortable there.

Obviously people's mileages vary, but we all have our journeys - we just have to keep walking forwards until we get there Fitz

D
Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you were able to get out and hike with your buddy today Fitz. I love hiking in the woods. Just so peaceful and serene.

I think after we get sober, we find a new normal. It won't feel normal until we get used to it. Change is scary for alcoholics and addicts, but with change comes growth.

Hang in there.

God bless.