SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Woke up happy and fairly optimistic (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/247267-woke-up-happy-fairly-optimistic.html)

aeo1313 01-28-2012 06:23 AM

Woke up happy and fairly optimistic

For those that have read my posts lately you know how I've been in a deep, dark, scary depression. When I woke today it has cleared somewhat and I felt...dare I say it..."good". I did yoga last night- first time in over a week I have exercised. Today we have 5th grade Shabbat services for my son, then pinewood derby for scouts, and I invited some neighbors over tonight. I was feeling anxious over everything today, but today I am confident the day will go well and I will enjoy my get-together tonight sober.

GalFriday 01-28-2012 06:24 AM

That is wonderful to hear!

midgetcop 01-28-2012 06:26 AM

That sounds great!

Sorry I haven't seen your other posts...PAWS related depression?

Bikeguy 01-28-2012 06:27 AM

I'm glad your feeling better, enjoy your weekend!

aeo1313 01-28-2012 06:30 AM

I have suffered depression my entire life and was even hospitalized in high school bc of it. I don't know what the story is on it now, but it could be my brain trying to get back to "normal" after vicodin use. I have no idea. Or it could just be one of my "spells". Either way it sucks, and today I feel free...light...it's wonderful! I wrote it down in my journal so that in the future I will know that it is possible to feel good:)

Fubarcdn 01-28-2012 06:31 AM

That is a great positive attitude aeo. How are you feeling physically without the pills?

aeo1313 01-28-2012 06:35 AM

I have been very tired, but think that is due to the depression. I have no pain issues for which I took the pills so I am not dealing with that...thank god! Have had headaches off and on, but physically I am feeling fine. No major issues.

Anna 01-28-2012 06:41 AM

Good, and hopefully this is the beginning of you feeling better.

In my case, I have to treat my lifelong depression in order to level the playing field. Even so, I have periods when I start to slip into the abyss. And, for me, it's SO important to me to maintain optimism at those times, because I don't want to slip back into depression. And, yay for yoga. I love it. :)

aeo1313 01-28-2012 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 3259371)
Good, and hopefully this is the beginning of you feeling better.

In my case, I have to treat my lifelong depression in order to level the playing field. Even so, I have periods when I start to slip into the abyss. And, for me, it's SO important to me to maintain optimism at those times, because I don't want to slip back into depression. And, yay for yoga. I love it. :)

My therapist drew all these diagrams about what vicodin does to the brain, what prozac does, alcohol, depession, etc. I rationally understand that I MUST stay away from pills and alcohol to fully get a grasp on my depression and let my Prozac do it's work. I was depressed when I was young before I ever took a pill or drink, so I know it's a deamon I will face my entire life...but I don't have to help it along by poisoning my brain.

keltie 01-28-2012 08:37 AM

SO happy for you!! :c011:

eJoshua 01-28-2012 09:57 AM

I'm happy to hear that!

This time of the year is generally very hard for me. I think when most people get the "winter blues" those of us who are already predispositioned to depression slip off the deep end even more.

I too felt really good today though, slept in and I'm just enjoying the fact that the sun's out. :)

aeo1313 01-28-2012 09:58 PM

Made it through my first party sober. I had some neighbors over tonight who were all drinking. Early in the evening when they were pouring their drinks I thought I was going to cry, but as the night went on I realized I was still having a blast sober. These are my closest friends and I enjoyed them as much sober. Also, when they left, I was able to clean the kitchen! So used to waking up to a dirty house after a party!

Dee74 01-28-2012 10:00 PM

good for you aeo :)

D