SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/247224-day-5-a.html)

ElegantlyWasted 01-27-2012 02:37 PM

Day 5

Plowing through. So relate to others who are at about where I am in this process, who mention high/low/erratic energy levels food/sugar cravings etc. I feel tired yet wired. I have been staying hydrated, taking vitamins, eating relatively healthfully. Have so much to do but am having focus issues. Probably had too much coffee again. Anyway, know I'm rambling; so thanks to everyone who posts here your empathy, insights and similar/different experiences help me to keep it real.

Strangedays 01-27-2012 02:44 PM

Hang in there. It gets better one day at a time!

Purplecatlover 01-27-2012 02:47 PM

I read that alot of alcoholics are hypoglycemic. So you crave sugar but then you crash after the sugar wears off. I have been trying to stay on low carb, protein etc. it has helped some. Read Seven weeks to sobriety. It's about nutritional info to help curb cravings, etc. my emotions have been all over the place too. Worse if I smoke more. Need to quit but that's another battle for later. Congrats on day 5

MycoolFitz 01-27-2012 02:52 PM

It's up and down but that's what life is. I taught many years in Eloy AZ

ElegantlyWasted 01-27-2012 03:00 PM

hypogogoornogo

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover (Post 3258785)
I read that alot of alcoholics are hypoglycemic. So you crave sugar but then you crash after the sugar wears off. I have been trying to stay on low carb, protein etc. it has helped some. Read Seven weeks to sobriety. It's about nutritional info to help curb cravings, etc. my emotions have been all over the place too. Worse if I smoke more. Need to quit but that's another battle for later. Congrats on day 5

Makes sense to me. I suspected that I was the last time I dried out. Whole Grains/ Complex Carbs help a lot. And if this time is like last time my cravings will be gone in a month or so if I make it. I've heard its kinda like type II diabetes in that it goes into remission when you do the right things. Seems to be sort of a chicken and thing in that did the drinkin' cause it or was it a genetic predisposition or a little of both?

MustStop 01-27-2012 05:35 PM

I am on day 6 and feel the best so far yet, I can only hope it keeps getting better from here and I am sure it will for you too. After being hungover most of the time over the last 11 years I can deal with the erratic emotions and wired for a bit then in the dumps the next. Its all part of getting the booze out of our systems. Heck, today I even went furniture shopping and bought a bunch of items..I've NEVER done that before. And now that the place is looking better, I am feeling better about myself too.

ElegantlyWasted 01-27-2012 05:42 PM

Arrrrgh.. Going to buy cigs! So craving something. Just no steel reserve on way back. At least I 'm smoking less than 1/2 of what I usually do. Thanks for the posts guys. Helps me vent, know I'm human and not the only person who has ever gone through this.

MustStop 01-27-2012 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted (Post 3258955)
Arrrrgh.. Going to buy cigs! So craving something. Just no steel reserve on way back. At least I 'm smoking less than 1/2 of what I usually do. Thanks for the posts guys. Helps me vent, know I'm human and not the only person who has ever gone through this.

LOL I just ran out and am off to buy a pack myself and also had thoughts of the liquor store too as I use to hit that place afterwards. I honestly don't care, it was a bit of a trigger but nothing this boy can't handle ;)

Smoke em if you got 'em

Bikeguy 01-27-2012 07:08 PM

One day at a time, one minute at a time if need be. Be kind to yourself, eat right, sleep when possible and stay strong. You can do it.

ElegantlyWasted 01-27-2012 07:22 PM

Bought cigs. Rented Money Ball. No booz stop. GF is sick in bed (could have snuck a 24 stealie in and she would have never known). Sick mind shut up. Pizza in the oven. Wondering if I can focus on the movie... Signing off and gearing up for day 6.