Notices

Does addiction cover everything?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Does addiction cover everything?

Meaning- can a person who is addicted to drugs still be a normal drinker with no alcohol issues, or do they go hand in hand?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Will drinking alcohol reduce your resolve to stop using? Will it make it easier for you to make that call and pick up some junk? Do you want to substitute alcohol to replace the opiate buzz? Will alcohol cause problems in your life all by itself?

These are your questions to answer, aeo. You need to figure out exactly what your Big Plan is going to be.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I have no call to make- if I did it would have been a lot easier to get pills! I drank in social situations- I used pills daily. I never had a desire to drink daily. Just when out with friends.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

It sounds like I am justifing drinking, and maybe I am, but it was the pills that were a daily hinderence.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

it covers everything for me, and i tried all the combinations and variations.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

look back at your posts, especially the ones about your drinking, aeo.
I'm not sure they tally with your assessment here.

I know I tried hard to convince myself that I could still 'do' something, so long as it wasn't my DOC, and get away with it.

You'd want to be really sure that's not happening here aeo.

D
Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my opinion, drinking is a big no no for you. Either it will lead you back to your drug of choice or you will begin drinking alcoholically.

My first drug of choice was Marijuana. I was an everyday smoker and only drank socially. Then I was arrested for possession and placed on probation. I was too scared to smoke pot on probation because it stays in your system for so long. I switched to alcohol and to make a long story short....now I am here finally after being put through the wringer a couple of times.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think drinking alcohol would be a trigger that would lead to doing your drug of choice. Kind of like some people only smoke when they drink. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

For me, anything that has mind-altering properties could be a possible addiction for me. In my 20's, I was addicted to Vicodin and had no problem getting them due to a back injury. After nearly overdosing on them, I was detoxed in the hospital and never went back to them. However, I did end up becoming an alcoholic about 15 years later.

I feel I am in danger of becoming addicted to anything that alters my state of mind and/or behavior, which is why nowadays I don't accept prescriptions for painkillers from my doctor unless I am in agony ... and even then, I make sure it is a very small script with no refills.

I don't know if it's the same for you, but it does seem to be a fairly common occurrence.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would also be concerned that drinking would lower your level of resistance and make you more vulnerable to pills.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

You all are right. I knew it was a crock of s*** when I posted. I just did some yoga and I'm going to make brownies and watch a movie. I have a bunch of stuff to do this weekend and am having a small party at my house tomorrow which I am nervous about. It is just close friends and they know I am not drinking so there will be no pressure, but I'm never sober at parties. Sunday will be easier though staying sober tomorrow night.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I would also be concerned that drinking would lower your level of resistance and make you more vulnerable to pills.
Oh YES! Nearly killed myself last summer in just this fashion.

Many of us are addicts, not just a situation of being addicted to one particular substance, but a situation of running as far from feelings as we can using any means possible.

That is why in my case, taking the pills out didn't do the trick. Because I had five other things I could "drug" myself with...not all of them substances.

There may be some people who only get physically addicted to a particular substance, and once they get clean, they are fine, but that seems to be the minority of folks on this site.

Many of us have personalities such that we must avoid mind and mood altering substances, and for many of us, certain behaviors as well (gambling is a pretty simple example)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Does addiction cover everything?"

Pretty well...

My first sponsor used to say:
"Show me an alcoholic and I'll show you a person with a ******* problem (you can fill in the blank, booze,drugs, sex, work, gambling etc), too much or too little !!"

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Bob R.