Notices

Ready to give it up

Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to give it up

I'm not speaking of my virginity and I'm not a hot chic. Sorry to disappoint some of you with the thread title. I'm ready to move on from drinking. I've been drinking regularly for a number of years. I'm 37 now and I guesstimate I've been at it since I was 19 or 20... somewhere in that range. I've been sitting here thinking about what I'm going to say next, but I'm just going to get to the point. I'm done...it's a habit that I'm sick of. However, it's kind of become part of who I am. I think it's the nightly activities that are going to bother me the most...watching movies, playing pool, bla bla bla...anything at night. Ahh ****, the more I type this the more confused I become. I just want out...wow am I babbling! If you're still awake...when I see my doctor next week what questions should I ask and are there any pills that may ease the withdraw symptoms? Thanks!!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jbasicpa

I can identify with wanting out - the last 5 years sober have been magic for me.
Try not to worry too much about how you'll live sober - it will fall in place

It's not always easy to begin with tho - but you'll find a lot of support here

Just be honest and open with your Dr about whats been going on, and see what they suggest

D
Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, "magic" is the word that stuck out most. I have a lot of other interests that I want to get into. It kinda feels like I'm going to need some sort of "magic" to make it all happen. I want to see the sunshine in the morning and take full advantage of the day...that's kinda my thing, I feel like I'm looking at the day thru hungover/drunk lenses.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

my life is magic but it didn;t take magic to get there - just comittment, some effot and a lot of support

I used to drink all day every day, for years - if I can do this deal, anyone can

you've found a good place here

D
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jbasicpa -
My evenings were all about drinking, too. By the time most of us get here, alcohol is running the show and it's hard to imagine living without it. I really didn't know if I could quit - it was pretty scary - but now I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to that life. It feels pretty good to wake up in a positive frame of mind!

Stick around - we know what it's like.....:ghug3
Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank for 50 years. Standing on my head in the snow is a better activity than the drinking. Of course I don't think I can stand on my head but I can try to be in it. My best.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome jbasicpa! Glad you found us. Sounds like you're fed up and ready for a change in your life. I wish I'd made that decision at 37. I kept on into my 50's, insisting it could still be fun. I thought my life would be boring without it, but now I realize there's nothing more boring than being in a fog most of the time. Life was happening all around me, and I was numb - just going through the motions.

You can have a whole new life filled with hope. Keep talking to us & let us know how you're doing. Glad you're going to your doctor.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I gotta be honest, all of the replies brought me to tears. Thanks!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am only 70 days sober, but I drank every Fri, Sat, and Sun. The first month was hard, but I made plans in advance. Perhaps I would go to the movies with non drinking friends, or clean the garage and go to a nice diner to reward myself. I promise, after a while, it becomes normal to not drink! Good luck
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome basic! I didn't think I could do anything without alcohol or drugs at first either. It's awkward at first, but I'm starting to learn how to enjoy myself without it. Like it was already mentioned, be honest with the doc.

You can do this! Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

God bless.