Notices

So irritable last couple of days

Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So irritable last couple of days

Early sobriety really sucks sometimes. The irritability just hits me out of nowhere. I've seen Dee post that the difference between a good day and a bad one is about 2 days. For me at this point it's about 4. four decent days followed by 3 or 4 bad ones.

It's really hard on my family too. They don't understand it, I don't understand it. I keep on doing the things that I''ve changed in my life, but sometimes it's hard to even function. I hardly feel anything at all during these down times except anger and irritability. Uncomfortable in my own skin, no patience.

I know brighter days are ahead, but they are hard to see when your in the muck.

Thanks for letting me vent.

God bless.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel, jocata, today was a terrible day for me. Yesterday was great. I'm nervous about the weekend coming up, I have lots to do and I need to be calm.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's been an irritable week for me too Jocata - maybe we both need to cut ourselves some slack and goof off a little?

D
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
Early sobriety really sucks sometimes. The irritability just hits me out of nowhere. I've seen Dee post that the difference between a good day and a bad one is about 2 days. For me at this point it's about 4. four decent days followed by 3 or 4 bad ones.

It's really hard on my family too. They don't understand it, I don't understand it. I keep on doing the things that I''ve changed in my life, but sometimes it's hard to even function. I hardly feel anything at all during these down times except anger and irritability. Uncomfortable in my own skin, no patience.

I know brighter days are ahead, but they are hard to see when your in the muck.

Thanks for letting me vent.

God bless.
Jocata, it may be a small consolation, but I have been been going through the same thing It started for me on day 21, and lately seems like 2 bad days, 1 good, and then another 2 bad. Very frustrating!!! How many days do you have sober?
I am holding tight to the words of the old-timers, who insist it gets so much better. Hang in there!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first months of sobriety were an emotional roller coaster for me. Everything I was trying to drink away, surfaced. I had to get out of my own way and deal with my feelings. I'm glad your posting here. It's good to vent and get some feedback.

I started a journal, to write down my feelings. Counseling helped me a lot. This site helped me get perspective and realize, I wasn't the only one having these issues.

Exercise in any form helps. When I would get angry or frustrated I would walk until my mind cleared or I was to tired to care. lol

Best Wishes To You!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess irritability is better than numbness though it does seem to suck. I buried my feelings for so long that feeling anything again was overwhelming. I hope you "feel" better soon. We're all lives in progress.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was very angry for a long time, I knew it, I hated it but just could not seem to stop myself. I think learning to experience emotions without alcohol is almost as hard as the quitting and detoxing part. A couple things that helped me was keeping a journal of my good days and bad days, that way I could see that I was improving....even if it was slowly. I also ramped up my exercising, it's a great way to blow off some pent up emotions. Keep at it, things will even out over time.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have not had a drink for twelve days and I feel like I have been hungover for nine of those days minus the head pounding
Very grumpy. Very short tempered. It takes me twenty minutes just to write a post like this because I keep editing myself over and over. My mind just doesn't seem to want to work right. I keep reading that it gets better with time. I hope so cause right now I feel bat @#$%^! crazy.
I need to get off my butt and do something. I just never seem to have the energy.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faceitandfixit View Post
Jocata, it may be a small consolation, but I have been been going through the same thing It started for me on day 21, and lately seems like 2 bad days, 1 good, and then another 2 bad. Very frustrating!!! How many days do you have sober?
I am holding tight to the words of the old-timers, who insist it gets so much better. Hang in there!
Hey faceit i've got 61 days. Congrats on your time.

Yea, Dee I hear ya. Amazing how silly I can act sober, great stress release though.

The journaling helps me some to Opi. I have been exercising, and I've managed to hurt myself twice already. Trying to start out slow, but dang!
I'm only 39 but feel like 69. Need to get a flowered swim cap and start doing aqua aerobics with the senior citizens if they'll have me.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Love you all.

God bless.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats on 2 months by the way... "I keep on doing the things that I''ve changed in my life, but sometimes it's hard to even function."
I remember the last time I dried out that it took a couple months to feel good in general and establish healthy behavior patterns that I didn't have to force. I also had the luxury of being single, no kids, nor any real stress. Your're doing great.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Jocata - yesterday was my funk day. Woke up irritated and stayed that way all day for no apparant reason. Luckily had the day off so I didn't have to go thru the motions. Today has been fine - even braving the aisles of Wally Wor :ld, was able to almost have a sense of humor :-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts - made me feel very "normal" and that is much appreciated!

Smiles,

T
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree. The ups & downs are like whiplash. I'm irritable & want to come out of my skin. Or take a baseball bat to something. Never liked dealing w/ anything. Had enough to deal with as a child. I guess it's immature to think the rest of life should be a piece of cake. I just don't like feeling when it's negative. Trying to stay positive. I get you don't understand it. I don't. Unchartered territory is scary. Keep posting. All your words encourage me. Glad were all in this boat together. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your encouragement and reminding me again that i'm not alone.

Feeling much better tonight. My son and I went out to dinner then to a hockey game. We had a blast just hanging together.

So glad I'm sober and able to enjoy things like this.

God bless.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I felt a lot like this as well in early sobriety --

I would consider talking to your doctor about it if it continues for a long period of time. I found that there were some psychiatric issues at play that were exacerbating my irritability.

Then again, that may not be the case for you, irritability is very common in early sobriety.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats for making 61 days jocata! you know most people tell thousands of lies in their lifetime....to the question "How are you today?" we automatically say "fine"
Sometimes we just really don't feel fine, and thats gonna have to be ok.
I am a newcomer as you know, and spent the evening with my son and grandson. We all 3 got into bed together and watched my grandson's favorite Disney movies. It was such a blessing to be sober for myself and those 2 . You remember your blessings too. peace.