SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   MIA For A Few Days (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/247055-mia-few-days.html)

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 03:42 PM

MIA For A Few Days

Been going through a lot the past few days. My cat Bill has just been diagnosed as diabetic. Made the decision to treat him. My husband is having fits over the cost. Bill hasn't even had his first insulin injection yet and we are already nearly $700 poorer. What with the tests, office visits, and first prescription... Just picked THAT up and along with the needles just dropped $178.

Bill wil be dropped off at the vet in the morning. They're keeping him for the day to monitor him and I'll pick him up in the evening.

I need a job.

Hevyn 01-25-2012 03:44 PM

Bill is a lucky kitty to have you for a mama. So sorry you're having to go through this - good of you to be willing to spend the money. How old is Bill? (I'd be doing the same thing.)

GirlFromCO 01-25-2012 03:44 PM

Aww, poor kitty, and poor Mommy's wallet :( I hate when you think you're about to save some money and something like that comes up. When I quit drinking I was all excited about the money I wasn't spening on booze, and then we found ourselves with a 1k transmission bill two weeks later.

FYI, I know several diabetic cats, and they have all gone on to live purr-ductive happy lives.

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 3256425)
Bill is a lucky kitty to have you for a mama. So sorry you're having to go through this - good of you to be willing to spend the money. How old is Bill? (I'd be doing the same thing.)

Bill is 12.

I feel so bad for him.

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO (Post 3256426)
Aww, poor kitty, and poor Mommy's wallet :( I hate when you think you're about to save some money and something like that comes up. When I quit drinking I was all excited about the money I wasn't spening on booze, and then we found ourselves with a 1k transmission bill two weeks later.

FYI, I know several diabetic cats, and they have all gone on to live purr-ductive happy lives.

It's all pretty overwhelming right now to be honest.

chicory 01-25-2012 04:00 PM

flamingredhair,
i had a diabetic kitty. home testing, feeding good protein based foods, and testing before insulin can make things so much easier and safer.
there is a site, felinediabetes******.com, you will find great support.
i hope your doctor supports home testing. it isnt safe to give insulin without knowing kitties sugar reading. our first vet said, no, kitty would be scared, sore ears, etc. but i bought an inexpensive kit, home tested, and she would purr right through it. warm the edge of the ear, makes it so easy. safer too.
your bill can have a long sucessful life, and many times they can go into remission, it happens a lot,with good control of their sugar.

if you have any questions, you can pm me. you can also get needles and insulins through walgreen walmart, etc. cheaper.
best to you and Bill.
hugs
chicory

GirlFromCO 01-25-2012 04:00 PM

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made that stupid joke about it. Hmm... Can you sell some books, or plasma? Do you have time to deliver some pizzas for a couple of weeks? I would have done the same thing as far as treating your kitty. Your husband will accept it eventually... he's probably overwhelmed same as you. Hugs.

Dee74 01-25-2012 04:05 PM

prayers for Bill and for you FRH :)

D

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 04:09 PM

Double post

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by chicory (Post 3256447)
flamingredhair,
i had a diabetic kitty. home testing, feeding good protein based foods, and testing before insulin can make things so much easier and safer.
there is a site, felinediabetes******.com, you will find great support.
i hope your doctor supports home testing. it isnt safe to give insulin without knowing kitties sugar reading. our first vet said, no, kitty would be scared, sore ears, etc. but i bought an inexpensive kit, home tested, and she would purr right through it. warm the edge of the ear, makes it so easy. safer too.
your bill can have a long sucessful life, and many times they can go into remission, it happens a lot,with good control of their sugar.

if you have any questions, you can pm me. you can also get needles and insulins through walgreen walmart, etc. cheaper.
best to you and Bill.
hugs
chicory

Thank you!!!!

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO (Post 3256448)
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made that stupid joke about it. Hmm... Can you sell some books, or plasma? Do you have time to deliver some pizzas for a couple of weeks? I would have done the same thing as far as treating your kitty. Your husband will accept it eventually... he's probably overwhelmed same as you. Hugs.

I'll figure out something, I suppose.

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3256451)
prayers for Bill and for you FRH :)

D

Thank you, Dee!

BackToSquareOne 01-25-2012 04:14 PM

How do you know a cat is diabetic?

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 04:17 PM

Chicory?

Chicory, my computer is telling me your link might be unsafe.

??

MsJax 01-25-2012 04:31 PM

FlamingRed, I am so sorry about Bill's diagnosis. Diabetes is controllable though. So sorry your husband is throwing a fit. Anyhow, I use various prescription medications for my rescue pets and I use insulin for one. I use a pharmacy out of Arizona and they have very good prescription prices on pet meds. Please let me know if you would like their phone #. You can call them and they will contact your vet and then they will mail you your prescriptions at a better cost than most local pharms or vet clinics.

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne (Post 3256465)
How do you know a cat is diabetic?

One of the first signs is drinking LOTS of water. And peeing too. The vet ran blood work to confirm it.

flamingredhair 01-25-2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MsJax (Post 3256491)
FlamingRed, I am so sorry about Bill's diagnosis. Diabetes is controllable though. So sorry your husband is throwing a fit. Anyhow, I use various prescription medications for my rescue pets and I use insulin for one. I use a pharmacy out of Arizona and they have very good prescription prices on pet meds. Please let me know if you would like their phone #. You can call them and they will contact your vet and then they will mail you your prescriptions at a better cost than most local pharms or vet clinics.

Thanks, why don't you give me the number? Can't hurt to look into it.

MsJax 01-25-2012 04:36 PM

Diamondback Pharmacy. 866.646.2223. Also if you happen to have a good relationship with a local animal shelter sometimes they will offer assistance on prescription pet medications. At least they do here in Washington.

Anna 01-25-2012 04:37 PM

I so glad that you're taking care of your beloved pet as well as you can. Good for you!

I have had two hefty vet bills in the last 6 weeks too.

BackToSquareOne 01-25-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by flamingredhair (Post 3256493)
One of the first signs is drinking LOTS of water. And peeing too. The vet ran blood work to confirm it.

Never knew that, thanks. I have lots of cats. Here's my old cat thread : http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ers-group.html