Notices

MIA For A Few Days

Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I so glad that you're taking care of your beloved pet as well as you can. Good for you!

I have had two hefty vet bills in the last 6 weeks too.
I'm going to look into pet insurance.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I love my pets more than anything. You must be a wonderful person to shoulder the responsibility of a diabetic cat. You are an angel (I would too, though - in fact, my washer just broke and three days after my cat got sick - the cost of treating him was more than a washer, and I have no money left until the end of the month) I liked my washer, but I love my cats! You are a good person. Prayers and positive energy is on the way to you. Much love and admiration.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB

sorry flaming. this is the one . it has been a while since i was there. i just went there and had no trouble. hope this works ok for you!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That really sucks. My pup has diabetes, has had diabetes for several years now. I don't know much about cat diabetes (apparently they're very different..), I heard there's an oral pill for some types? I found out (after like 2 years) that Kyla (our dog) could do just fine on human insulin, sold at walmart over the counter of all places. Same with her syringes, you can buy them there too. Again, I don't know about kitty diabetes, but for dogs there are some weird little things like that that you can find out about. Join a forum for diabetic cats, it's extremely helpful.. I've been a member of a canine diabetes forum for years. We've had our ups and downs. I hate giving those shots every morning and night.. honestly it's changed our lives (because her feedings/shots have to be given exactly 12 hours apart.. 7:30a, 7:30p.. no dinner and a movie.. etc..). Hugs to you!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

oh, and they will send you a monitor if you need one, for free! many donate their test monitors and such. or they send a new one.
it takes a little bit to get used to getting around on the site, but it is worth the trouble. there are however, some hardliner people, who insist on keeping a chart, graph of test results, and so on. you dont have to do that, to take good care of him, but just learning how to do all this stuff is so helpful.
i gave my girl her shots, tested her, on her ear edge, and all that stuff, and it was not hard to do. she was such a doll baby. and she went into remission for a while, tho she took prednisone for a tumor, and that makes the sugar higher, so , it came back. treating several diseases together, that can be tricky. you will do fine. you love him, that is plain to see. i am rather limited on funds, and i was able to get her insulin, and needles and such. i used kroger test kit, and strips.
you can do this!

hugs, head bonks to Bill,
chicory
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Home testing cat's blood sugar levels - YouTube

here is a you tube video of doing an ear test for sugar on a cute kitty named Dreamsickle! you can see how it can get very easy, and it did for me and my kitty.
hugs
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

How To Test Your Diabetic Cat's Blood Sugar At Home - YouTube

this is a good one too
Old 01-25-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
That really sucks. My pup has diabetes, has had diabetes for several years now. I don't know much about cat diabetes (apparently they're very different..), I heard there's an oral pill for some types? I found out (after like 2 years) that Kyla (our dog) could do just fine on human insulin, sold at walmart over the counter of all places. Same with her syringes, you can buy them there too. Again, I don't know about kitty diabetes, but for dogs there are some weird little things like that that you can find out about. Join a forum for diabetic cats, it's extremely helpful.. I've been a member of a canine diabetes forum for years. We've had our ups and downs. I hate giving those shots every morning and night.. honestly it's changed our lives (because her feedings/shots have to be given exactly 12 hours apart.. 7:30a, 7:30p.. no dinner and a movie.. etc..). Hugs to you!!!
I'm really overwhelmed right now.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for everything, chicory!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well you have the insulin and syringes for now.

Before you need more, please check with Walgreens, as they have a pretty good plan for 'animal' prescriptions. Check them out and see what their prices are compared to other pharmacies in your area.

I was really upset when my Pacho (75# husky/shepherd cross) was put on Tramadol 2x a day. The vet put 'canine' on the script and I swear that was a 'sign' to the Pharmicist to RAISE THE PRICES, sheesh. Well I went to the Walgreens near me and checked out what they were going to charge me, and the 3 month price was cheaper than what I had paid for 1 month at the 'other' pharmacy. You can bet I switched that script right away.

I would also suggest, if your kitty gets 'spooked' while taking a blood sample or giving kitty it's shot of insulin, wrap KITTY IN A BATH TOWEL. I suggest a BATH TOWEL as that is big enough to wrap kitty several times with towel starting at kitty's neck wrap until you run out of towel. Keeps legs and claws demobilized and it does have a calming affect on kitty.

Don't fret, you will be an 'old pro' in a short time. Kitty can live a long life taking insulin as needed.

If you need to or want to PM me.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
I'm really overwhelmed right now.
Its gonna be fine. you will be a pro in no time, i just know it.

if you have any questions, you can pm me, or holler into the hen house, on substance abuse forum. i am on here a lot!

just read a lot, but take time to breathe, and know that this will get so much easier. you will get into a routine, and that really helps. i know it is overwhelming at first. lots of information to take in. try to relax. that helps everyone. including Bill

big hugs, you have support, dont forget!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

the shots go under the skin, and that is easy. if bill is easy going and trusting of you, it will work out fine. you can also grab a handful of skin/fur, at back of neck, and squeezing gently with a bit of pressure, it calms a cat. just try it , practice that. they like it. like a momma cat carries her babies, by the back of the neck,,it does not hurt, but puts them in sort of a trance, smart mamma! some people even put clothes pins on that loose skin in back of neck, when they give fluids, and it really calms cat. i never did that, but i did just hold the skin, and sing, and she loved it!lol
Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am sorry, Red, prayers for you and Bill.

I know how that goes. My cat Jack who was 11 at the time, got out and got bitten on his foot and it wound up costing over 2K. They kept having to deride the tissues and change the bandages. It was awful.

We have to do what we think we need to when it comes to our furry friends though. I hope you guys can adjust and treat his disease.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Really, thank you so much, everyone. Your kind words and good advice are appreciated more than I could say.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

(((Flaming))) - there are a lot of us "furbaby-lovers" here with some great advice. My cat, Elvis, has FIV and leukemia..thanks, in part, to me not having enough money to get him vaccinated

I thought he was going to die within minutes of hearing the diagnosis and was overwhelmed with guilt. A friend, here, told me about an herbal supplement that would help. Two years later, Elvis is pretty skinny, but he's also feisty, LOVES his mama (that would me ME!) and every time he snuggles up to me, I feel blessed.

My friends at SR have helped me with every single struggle I've come across in "life in recovery", and I think you've gotten some really good suggestions. You and your precious furbaby will be just fine.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy