Notices

6 months and I blew it

Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Soberred,

Thanks for the post. You had 6 months and you blew it. But today you helped me, by reminding me that vodka sucks. For that I am thankful, because sometimes I forget that.

I've had some long stretches of sobriety in the past, once had 5 1/2 years before I got complacent. The last time I drank vodka a few years ago I don't know what the hell happened. I took the cat to the vet for shots, for some reason I bought a bottle of vodka on the way home. So why did I do that, is taking the cat to the vet a trigger???

I finally realized I drink because I'm an alcoholic, no other reason is really needed. So, if I'm an alcoholic, where can I go for help? Light bulb flash - AA!
Thanks so much zebra
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning, Soberred-

Your sincerity is strengthening, thank you for sharing. Dust yourself off and get back on the horse. My daughter is my accountabilty and voice of reason. She would be disappointed but not likely hurt. She would be encouraging and motivating. In your situation, I would probably resteady myself before I mentioned this occurance. A little time and distance will make you feel stronger and more resolved. Looking forward to hearing of your success!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
My 22 year old has been my support system. Should I tell her about my slip? It is going to hurt her so badly.
Yes. If she has been there to support you, you owe it to her to be honest. She may initially be disappointed, but she'll respect your honesty. She's an adult. In my experience, adult children of alcoholics (Mine) are resilient and forgiving. A slip is not a failure, it's a minor setback. Pick yourself back up - for both of you. All my best
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

That's the problem. I wasn't thinking of anything. I chose not to think of the consequences.
Right, I get that. But what were your actual thoughts right before drinking? You must have been telling yourself something?! I mean, unless you were in a complete state of trance, we all talk to ourselves internally. How did you get from your car to the liquor store?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I wasn't stressed. I wasn't upset. I had it in my mind that I was going to go buy a pint of vodka and I did.
Most people who return to drinking do so not necessarily when things get bad, but rather when things get normal. Something to keep in mind for the future.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Most people who return to drinking do so not necessarily when things get bad, but rather when things get normal. Something to keep in mind for the future.
Like the "committee" piping up in my head, saying, hey, see? You are ok, you can have a drink now!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Like the "committee" piping up in my head, saying, hey, see? You are ok, you can have a drink now!
I haven't heard that term in a while, but yes, "the committee" (ie, the Addictive Voice) will say anything and everything to get you to drink. Improved health and accumulated sober time are simply commodities to be cashed in for booze.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I haven't heard that term in a while, but yes, "the committee" (ie, the Addictive Voice) will say anything and everything to get you to drink. Improved health and accumulated sober time are simply commodities to be cashed in for booze.
I suppose that was my initial thought with the OP, but I wanted to hear it from him/her own words.

I view my committee as the devil side to me. You know, the angel on side of my shoulder and the devil on the other?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Yep. That's about right
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm so glad u reached out & posted. You have helped me many times w your posts & know u will continue to do so. U can do this!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Amen. Sobriety got easier for me once I learned that I have a penchant for self sabotage.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Yep. That's about right
Ugh. That sucks!!! I have the committee pipe up often. Although it seems to be quieting down lately, not working as hard as in the very beginning. I'm only newly sober but am looking forward to a long sober life.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you for reaching out and having the guts to post about your slip. I know that you have been through alot in the last several months and have grown alot. Learn from this and keep moving on in your sobriety. Hugs to you.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here guys - for once I have nothing to add

I'm sorry you drank SR, but I'm glad you're back - and I'm glad you posted - thanks

D
Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey soberred, are you doing ok?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Hey soberred, are you doing ok?
Yes I am ok. Thanks for asking. Amazing how quickly we forget the hell. It took 3 days to feel somewhat normal. I didn't even drink that much. I have been obsessing since then. I didn't tell my girls but my oldest called and asked me if I was ok. Said she had a dream about me that she can't remember but felt as though I was in trouble. Strange. Back to one day at a time. BLAH!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My 22 year old has been my support system. Should I tell her about my slip? It is going to hurt her so badly.
I'm curious...was that the one who had the dream? It's amazing to me sometimes the connections we have with our loved ones. Obsessing about drinking is no fun at all, hope that ends soon for you.

Good that you're still trying.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
I'm curious...was that the one who had the dream? It's amazing to me sometimes the connections we have with our loved ones. Obsessing about drinking is no fun at all, hope that ends soon for you.

Good that you're still trying.
Yes that's the one. We are pretty close. I'm so blessed. Hope I don't blow it again.