Notices

this is dumb

Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Religion and spirituality are two totally different things. Sure hope you revisit SR when you aren't drunk. A lot of good advice and shared experiences come from here.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wino5 - I hope you will change your mind and stay. Give yourself chance to sober up and feel better about your life. Staying in an alcoholic fog makes everything seem ugly and hopeless. I understand what you mean about the terrible things that happen, but we can fight against them and lead a good life.

SR helped me get sober 4 yrs. ago - and it had nothing to do with AA. It was finally not feeling alone anymore. I received an outpouring of love & concern once I opened up and talked about my problem and my fears. You aren't doomed to lead a miserable life - please don't give up on yourself. We care about you.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Wino5, I hope you are feeling a bit better today. Booze has a way of distorting things out of proportion. My life was in the toilet but today I've got seven months of sobriety. My problems became a lot easier to deal with once I quit dicking around with that stuff. Alcohol is like a spiritual blindfold. We can't see the beauty surrounding us until we remove it. While it's on, all we see is blackness and then we think the world is hopeless. It's not - that's just the material covering our eyes. What's keeping you from taking it off today, right now? It is completely within your power to do so. People dumber than you have done it, as my mom says. What are you waiting for?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Have you looked at the book 'Rational Recovery' You may find it helpful. As others have said AA is not the only way of getting sober. I've read many stories on here from people who don't use AA. Good luck
Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't mean to offend, but it seems that you are feeling the hurt right now and my thoughts go out to you. It is temporary if you choose it to be so (which sounds like B.S... I know).

But if you've went the route of trying to quit a few times or you've gotten really plastered and are feeling that 'guilt or misplacement thing' it sucks and seems hopeless. I know I tended to get a fake philosophical mindset of being really small, what's the point, I wouldn't be missed, this is me and how it ends, I want out, etc...). Which is of course much different than the early days when the philosophical feelings where those of sophistication and an expansion of awareness (all B.S. of course). At some point it all changed.

I'm not a religious person myself. I don't go to church or anything. I don't really believe in anything institutional since I'm more of a science/logic guy. Again no offensive jabs to those that do. I think there is something out there, but I haven't been able to see the whole picture yet. I myself came to the point that I didn't like what I was becoming because things weren't working anymore and you only get so much time. The drink was my muse and ambition for many years until it cut me off at the knees. Great medication while it lasted (or so I thought). For me, no AA. Mostly medical documentation, a desire to be a better man for my family, lurking SR, and never wanting to detox again (which for me was a doozy).

Don't give up on SR. Take the gems you see in posts that can help you in a positive way and ignore the things that compete with your sensibilities. Tomorrow you might feel a little different. Three days from now you might be a different person entirely. I haven't looked at your past posts but I assume you know the drill on detox, doctors, tapering, and all that good stuff. At least keep lurking if you don't post! I know it has helped me.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

wow i was off my head. Apologies everyone, I havnt drunk for ages and think it went to my head wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than i had anticipated. I sincerely apologise and thhis forum has been helpful! I gues i was just angry at myself for not having been able to keep sober. I have been through bit lately, i admit that but it is no excuse to speak the way i did. I have really appreciated support recieved on this forum. I dont think i should be on it though. particularly if i get drunk and ramble on like that again. I cant say how sorry i am for being disrespectful in any matter that i may have been and even more sorry for not making one bit of sense lol. Sorry xo.

Also for those that suggest palliative care not being a good place to work, im not anymore
Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dont think i should be on it though. particularly if i get drunk and ramble on like that again.
Actually, I think SR is exactly the place you should be right now

D
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Hi Aussie. Like the sig. "You can be what you want to be" You really can. AA in my opinion works really well for some people (especially type a extroverts), but for others can trigger relapse. Try Googling SMART recovery. They have free cbt work sheets that have helped me. Hit me up with a PM if you like as well I'm more of an Austrian Econ/ Any Randian Objectivist if that makes any sense.