Notices

Bad day

Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad day

Hi everyone. I am almost 60 days sober, and up until today I was feeling pretty good. I have been going to meetings, have a sponsor and have started working the 12 steps.

Today, I feel almost as bad as I did on day one! Lonely, angry, depressed, and exhausted. My sponsor tells me that it comes in waves. I thought I was making real progress until today.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

60 days sober is real progress. Having and working a program is real progress. Noticing how you feel and coming here to talk about it instead of drinking is HUGE awesome amazing ginormous progress!

we all have those days, the thing is now we don't use them as a reason to harm ourselves.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I hear you. Some days I wake up with a huge grin on my face and experience incredible joy about my new life. Other days, I feel angry, depressed, overwhelmed, and lost. Part of the process, I'm told. But even the worst days sober are still better than my best days drunk.

I agree with Threshold, it's good that you came here to let it out instead of letting yourself be drawn back into the pit. Good for you. Sixty days is awesome!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey FN

please don't get discouraged

a lot of people new to recovery tend to think the deal will be linear - the further away you get from your last drink the better you'll feel...

of course it's not always that simple or else noone would be here on SR...

just like life we have good and bad days in recovery too - if recovery is a journey sometimes you'll need to double back, sometimes the way will be hard going, and you may need to take a rest by the side of the road & sometimes..you may find yourself in a cul de sac.

Ann here at SR reckons the difference between a bad day and a good one is about 2 days - she's usually right...stick with it

D
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

60 days? I am so thrilled for you! Hard work does pay off and you are a shining example. In 48 days I hope to know how amazing that must feel. You can then fill me in on how fantastic 108 days is. Deal? You rock - keep up the great work, Fluffernutter!! :-)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep listening to your sponsor and stay the course. You'll be fine !!

Bob R
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Ann here at SR reckons the difference between a bad day and a good one is about 2 days - she's usually right...stick with it D

That's a simple, great reminder to us all, thanks Dee. I agree with the others, stick with it, it'll get better. I just had a similar experience and posted on SR, the responses were much the same as what you see here. There's ups and downs, and the fact that you're here trying to work out the down-times says it all. Hang in there!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys! I do feel a little better today. I guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time for now, and keep in mind that things WILL get better. I just keep repeating that in my head over and over when I'm feeling down.

Nonblondchef, I have to tell you, I am proud of myself for making it this far! You can do it too! I hope you're in a supportive program of some sort (I've found AA to be very helpful, but some people prefer other programs). Just keep at it!!

I pick up my 60 day chip on Friday!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Fluffer, I know how you feel. I'm at 60 days today, and it's been one of those down days. They do hit in waves, but then good days come back. I've had to do the same thing and post about it. Everybody has these kind of days, especially early on. Bodies and brains doing some adjusting, that's all. It's a little easier to get through it when you know what's going on. Makes you appreciate the good days that much more.

Congrats on your sober time.

God bless.