Notices

N/A question

Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question N/A question

Are there people in N/A who are still using? I am trying to gain a desire to quit taking pills, and I wonder if going to some meetings might help? But I dont want to go if it is just a place for people who are already in the process of getting clean.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

yes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

yes.

NA is for people who want to get clean and stay clean. You will probably hear at the meeting that they suggest you come back to your next meeting clean, because of course the idea is that people stop using. But that does NOT mean that you are not welcome if you are still using.

Many many of us came to NA before we were clean. We needed the encouragement and hope of recovering addicts to believe it was possible and that it was worth it.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

The only requirement is a "desire to stop using"

try listening to xa-speakers.com (all kinds of speakers are on that site)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
Are there people in N/A who are still using? I am trying to gain a desire to quit taking pills, and I wonder if going to some meetings might help? But I dont want to go if it is just a place for people who are already in the process of getting clean.
Well what do you mean by still using? You mean prescribed medications? Or Pills to use to get high? I am on medications, and yeah I struggle with it a lot. I always have, however, if I don't take my medications than I would be completely unmanageable and I have a very hard time in remaining clean and sober without them.

So not sure
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chance: I'm taking oxy's because it helps with my depression, I've never been prescribed them though...so I guess that means I'm trying to get around saying "I use to get high". I feel like a better person on the pills: I'm happier, nicer, more productive, etc. BUT, at the same time I know that I am addicted and I see myself getting progressively worse. What started out as 1 or 2 pills a day to help with grief (Mom died), has become 6-8 pills a day just to feel "normal". If this makes any since, I want to have a desire to quit. I want to have some eye-opening experience that will make me want to stop. I want to find a reason to not be controlled by these pills every day. So I thought maybe meetings (and this site) might be a good place to start. Thanks for responding, I need all the help I can get!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

if it's an open meeting you don't even need the desire to quit. most groups suggest that if you're high, or have used today, that you just listen and talk with people after the meeting. that's probably a good idea but you're free to speak if you feel compelled to do so.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
if it's an open meeting you don't even need the desire to quit. most groups suggest that if you're high, or have used today, that you just listen and talk with people after the meeting.
Oh great that's just what I want, an "open meeting" sounds good. i will look for one of those. thanks so much!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

my homegroup is an open meeting and we have parents, friends, students, and people not sure if they're addicts or really wanting to quit drugs attend semi-frequently.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have a desire to quit using the oxys so please come. You can attend an open or closed meeting. Come and listen. Get to know people and raise your hand and let them know that you are new when they ask during the first 10-15 minutes of the meeting. Let us know how the meeting went! Do you need a link to find a near by NA meeting?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Oxy's will probably be the next thing I am prescribed if my pain gets much worse. I wish I didn't have to take anything.

The meds I struggle with taking are not only my pain meds but as well my anti-depressants. I don't struggle with using too many, I just think that I should be able to remain sober and clean without anything but a HP. Than I think well why did God put Doctors on this earth? Surely they know what they are doing.

As far as using them without prescribed I would really feel uncomfortable with that for myself. Oxy's are really addictive from what I have been told.

Good luck to you and just keep trying. Maybe try seeking a Doctor to help you with your depression, I never heard of oxy's being prescribed for depression. I am on Lexapro for my depression.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
Do you need a link to find a near by NA meeting?
Yes, a link please.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

not sure where you are, but this should provide links to help you find a meeting pretty much anywhere

Home

welcome to SR

D