Notices

Vitamin B???

Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Vitamin B???

Have been having a hard time staying sober...ordered some supplements which are supposed to help...they haven't arrived but I woke up this morning with no cravings? It would have been very easy for me to drink today but it's strange I don't feel like it??? So the only thing I have changed is that my mother-in-law (who has no idea I have a drinking problem)...recommended I take a mega-B vitamin to help with my nails - I brought up how I can't get my nails to grow - so she told me to take a B-50...well all I could find at the store was a B-100 (a little stronger)...so I've been taking 2 B-100's a day - for about - I dunno 3/4 days to a week (can't remember exactly)...and I am perfectly fine now drinking an iced tea and the mere thought of drinking alcohol sorta turns my stomach - I really don't even want it! I'm just gonna go with this - I also drank a Rockstar today which has tons of Vitamin B in it...I don't want to get too excited but it would be so nice to have stumbled on something that rids me of the thirst for liquor!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

one thing I noticed...

I used to drink when things/events made me feel socially anxious...I have noticed my anxiety level has gone down...and the feeling of having a buzz right now seems really unappealing which is a very strange thought for me to have...I am so worried this feeling will not last...I also ordered some supplements which have yet to arrive - but I will just kept taking the B-100 and see if this lasts...I wasn't always a drinker - there were years where I never touched alcohol...
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a big believer in bio-medical assistsance in staying sober but I also believe we need to do some work on ourselves.

That said you might be interested in a book called "7 weeks to sobriety" which talks about supplements and sobriety.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Servant of God

B 50 complex is has some very beneficial properties including brain development. It is often suggested to help young children with Autism and other developmental delays. One could draw some parallels with how it may help an addict. I'm sure there have been studies on almost every vitamin supplement and its potential role in almost every affliction. You just have to search for them.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

To give you some idea how important vitamin B50 is for my memory, if I miss taking it for a day, I can't remember where I keep my vitamins. In spite of the fact that they have been in exactly the same cupboard for 20+ years LOL!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The one time I went to my GP about my problem he prescribed me strong Vitamin B tablets (amongst other stuff) and since then Ive always had some at home but rarely remember to take them. Im sure Ive heard that B vitamins are depleted by drinking alcohol.

Off to take mine now after reading the above.........
Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do take a lot of B vitamin (with my drs permission) and I know it helps me a lot.

The B vitamins can help calm you and have many health benefits.

Personally, I don't think you would see such a big change in 3 or 4 days, but who knows.

I do think you should talk to your dr about it, too.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i take a high potency B-complex (B-1, B-12, B-6) and theanine, 5-HTP. i've never heard of B-50 or B-100...unless you are talking mgs.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take B6 for stress and have done it for quite some time. It's not like a sedative at all. It just helps my body as I don't absorb vitamins from a lot of my foods.

I would also look at natural foods that contain B vitamins in them. Your body can always absorb vitamins more readily from food than from a pill.

I also take a few Vitamin D supplements because I live in an area that is often overcast and it makes such a difference in my mental health.

This is not medical advice, if you have any concerns about vitamins and supplements you should talk to a doctor.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not a doctor. This is not medical advice. I have taken Vitamin B from the 1st day I quit drinking. I also eat red grapes..Here is the list of the benefits of red grapes..
Resveratrol is a naturally produced compound found in red grapes, fruits, berries and root extracts. Resveratrol is also found in red wine and peanuts.
Just some of the benefits of Resveratrol include:

- anti-cancer
- anti-aging
- weight controlling
- anti-cholesterol
- lowers risk of heart attacks and strokes
- blood pressure and blood sugar-normalizing agent
- life extension properties
- metabolic support of the immune system
- improved sports performance
- properties
- anti depressant
-anti anxiety
- antioxidant
-
-anti-inflammatory

But be sure to talk to your doctor before eating red grapes and taking Vitamin B..
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

an excellent source for vitamin b is marmite, this is also called vegemite in the usa. i have marmite every morning on toast
Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also started taking a vitamin B complex when I stopped drinking. I can see a noticeable difference to hair, skin, nails and mood swings though how much of this is down to NOT drinking and not necessarily a supplement is anyone's guess!!

I feel better and have read that vitamin B is depleted by alcohol so good for drinkers and ex drinkers to take it. If you google vitamin B complex and look at the wikipedia link it's very detailed.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Dr Oz had a segment on B vitamins. It discussed how the pH levels of the stomach is changed when drinking & the importance this has on absorbing vitamins, wheter it's a fat or water soluable vitamin, when to take it (full or empty stomach). What foods or other vitamins, supplements and medications interfere with their absorption, and other important information.

Taking vitamins and supplements requires more than just popping them in your mouth!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Vitamin B1 (thiamine) is usually recommended as a supplement during alcohol withdrawal. As mentioned above, alcohol depletes our levels, that's why it's an effective hangover "snake oil" cure, most expensive hangover cures are vitamin B and aspirin (the last sentence was purely educational folks, no reason to have a few drinks).
I usually buy vegemite and have it on toast for breakfast. An Australian friend introduced me to it, it took a while to get used to the taste, but once you adjust, it's a great energy boost.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There's a lot of good reading on the subject out there. Just try google.
I found that 2 B-50's, magnesium 250mg and chromium picolinate drastically reduced my cravings. This includes the sugar cravings that came with my quitting alcohol.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I bought some B100 today thanks to this thread
Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's 2 of the articles that I had found. Some similar info has been posted here before. Many will recommend you check with your doctor before drastically changing diets etc.

http://www.joanmathewslarson.com/HRC...mistry.htm#dry

Low Blood Sugar - Hypoglycemia - Affects Health, Emotions and Learning Ability

Last edited by Dee74; 01-23-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: removed forum link, replaced