Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My drinking has gotten out of control. Today is my 5th day sober...

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doing it for him

Hi, I just stumbled across this site while looking for info on alcohol recovery. I started drinking in my mid-20s and for the past 10 years it has gotten heavier and heavier to the point where I would be drunk to the point of passing out almost every night. I have a young son, and I don't want to not remember this time with him, or worse, not be there when he gets older. So I need to stop.

It's been 5 days since my last drink and my head is pounding, my mouth tastes bad and it is hard to concentrate at work. Every night I pass by the liquor store on my way home and it is so easy to think of an excuse to go in. My family doesn't really know the extent of my drinking, so I don't really have anyone to talk to about this, which is why I turned to the internet. Maybe it will be easier to have this topic here, I can at least "track" my recovery, and of course any advice is more than welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

to SR
You will get plenty of support here.
The first couple of weeks are the hardest so hang in there.
Good luck
Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome zfbnyc! My advice would be to think of all the reasons NOT to stop by the liquor store. Congratulations on 5 days! SR is a very supportive site. Please keep posting your progress.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

5 days is a great start, keep up the good work. Welcome to Sober Recovery!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Good Job, keep it up, and welcome to SR

INH
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The questions from my young daughter the next morning that I didn't have the answer to were one of the main reasons for me to finally decide that I was out of control. She'd ask why I put her to bed early, or why was I yelling at her last night. I just didn't have an answer. She doesn't deserve that, my son doesn't either.

Kids are a great motivation. I'm on day 6 so I am right there with you Z.

Good luck and post when you have the urge to drink. It has helped me. Even just reading others stories helps me to stay strong. Visit this board when you need help.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink I am on day eleven.

Originally Posted by ownmybehavior View Post
Kids are a great motivation. I'm on day 6 so I am right there with you Z
I am sure that you are right but unfortunately I don't have kids.
Now I am on day eleven without a single drop of alcohol.
Today I came here again because I had the desire to drink just a little bit.
I thought about that desire and rejected it from my brain.
I still have two virgin bottles of vodka in the basement. Persons here gave me the advice to pour it off. I didn't that. We have plenty of alcoholic beverage here for the guests so I can't trash everything. At the end this is not so difficult. Each day the desire to drink decreases a little bit. The thing that have motivated me the most is the fact that alcohol is hygroscopic and simply destroys the cell albumin and the so the cells dies. So this is a cell poison which destroys at each heavier drinking thousands of neurons.
So every time I am tempted to have a little drink I say to myself that I definitely don't need to drink poison. The association is made in my spirit between alcohol and poison. This is a vietnamese woman a zen Buddhist by the way who advised me to substitute the word cigarette and alcohol with the word poison when I am taking the decision to intoxicate myself. I was a very good advice. No I can't thank her because she died two years ago.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Doing it for him

Thank you all for the supportive comments. ownmybehavior, I know what you mean. The worst feeling in the world is the next day when my son asks me why I was mad at him the night before, and, if I even remember, it was something booze related. kabrock, I know for me having alcohol in the house has been what has killed prior attempts to give it up. Hopefully you are stronger than me. Thanks for the advice, alcohol truly is poison and I have proven I cannot handle it in moderation, so it needs to go.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You're son will really appreciate not growing up raised by any alcoholics. Stick around, this place is great!