SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My drinking has gotten out of control. Today is my 5th day sober... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/246844-my-drinking-has-gotten-out-control-today-my-5th-day-sober.html)

zfbnyc 01-23-2012 07:33 AM

My drinking has gotten out of control. Today is my 5th day sober...

Hi, I just stumbled across this site while looking for info on alcohol recovery. I started drinking in my mid-20s and for the past 10 years it has gotten heavier and heavier to the point where I would be drunk to the point of passing out almost every night. I have a young son, and I don't want to not remember this time with him, or worse, not be there when he gets older. So I need to stop.

It's been 5 days since my last drink and my head is pounding, my mouth tastes bad and it is hard to concentrate at work. Every night I pass by the liquor store on my way home and it is so easy to think of an excuse to go in. My family doesn't really know the extent of my drinking, so I don't really have anyone to talk to about this, which is why I turned to the internet. Maybe it will be easier to have this topic here, I can at least "track" my recovery, and of course any advice is more than welcome. Thanks.

Fubarcdn 01-23-2012 07:54 AM

:welcome to SR
You will get plenty of support here.
The first couple of weeks are the hardest so hang in there.
Good luck

Opivotal 01-23-2012 07:55 AM

Welcome zfbnyc! My advice would be to think of all the reasons NOT to stop by the liquor store. Congratulations on 5 days! SR is a very supportive site. Please keep posting your progress. :)

:welcome

Best Wishes To You!

Anna 01-23-2012 08:12 AM

I'm glad you found us. :)

Bikeguy 01-23-2012 08:15 AM

5 days is a great start, keep up the good work. Welcome to Sober Recovery!

InsertNameHere 01-23-2012 08:19 AM

Good Job, keep it up, and welcome to SR

INH

ownmybehavior 01-23-2012 09:48 AM

The questions from my young daughter the next morning that I didn't have the answer to were one of the main reasons for me to finally decide that I was out of control. She'd ask why I put her to bed early, or why was I yelling at her last night. I just didn't have an answer. She doesn't deserve that, my son doesn't either.

Kids are a great motivation. I'm on day 6 so I am right there with you Z.

Good luck and post when you have the urge to drink. It has helped me. Even just reading others stories helps me to stay strong. Visit this board when you need help.

kabrock 01-23-2012 10:58 AM

I am on day eleven.

Originally Posted by ownmybehavior (Post 3253481)
Kids are a great motivation. I'm on day 6 so I am right there with you Z

I am sure that you are right but unfortunately I don't have kids.
Now I am on day eleven without a single drop of alcohol.
Today I came here again because I had the desire to drink just a little bit.
I thought about that desire and rejected it from my brain.
I still have two virgin bottles of vodka in the basement. Persons here gave me the advice to pour it off. I didn't that. We have plenty of alcoholic beverage here for the guests so I can't trash everything. At the end this is not so difficult. Each day the desire to drink decreases a little bit. The thing that have motivated me the most is the fact that alcohol is hygroscopic and simply destroys the cell albumin and the so the cells dies. So this is a cell poison which destroys at each heavier drinking thousands of neurons.
So every time I am tempted to have a little drink I say to myself that I definitely don't need to drink poison. The association is made in my spirit between alcohol and poison. This is a vietnamese woman a zen Buddhist by the way who advised me to substitute the word cigarette and alcohol with the word poison when I am :headbange taking the decision to intoxicate myself. I was a very good advice. No I can't thank her because she died two years ago.

zfbnyc 01-23-2012 11:23 AM

Thank you all for the supportive comments. ownmybehavior, I know what you mean. The worst feeling in the world is the next day when my son asks me why I was mad at him the night before, and, if I even remember, it was something booze related. kabrock, I know for me having alcohol in the house has been what has killed prior attempts to give it up. Hopefully you are stronger than me. Thanks for the advice, alcohol truly is poison and I have proven I cannot handle it in moderation, so it needs to go.

flutter 01-23-2012 11:29 AM

You're son will really appreciate not growing up raised by any alcoholics. Stick around, this place is great!