SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Success! Got me a sponsor! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/246786-success-got-me-sponsor.html)

ontherightpath 01-22-2012 12:31 PM

Success! Got me a sponsor!

Well, that phone was heavy when I picked it up, but I called someone from aa and got me a sponsor. Someone I trust and who has been in my shoes. I'm excited! But scared, at the same time. I will most likely end the night with wine, I'm not gonna lie. So may tomorrow be the best day of the rest of my life!!!!!! The day I get sober, FOR GOOD!!!

Luckyv2 01-22-2012 12:33 PM

AWESOME!!!

Every time I see the word Sponsor I feel really safe and very Happy for others cause it is a must to have someone (not necessarily a sponsor) to be able to talk to openly.

Inca 01-22-2012 01:25 PM

I just got myself one too this weekend. I'm ready to give it all now and see what happens. Best of luck to you.

jocata 01-22-2012 03:49 PM

Why wait? Start day 1 right now?

God bless.

GirlFromCO 01-22-2012 04:07 PM

Congrats! If I read your post right, you're still drinking. Right now would be a great time to call that new sponsor of yours ;)

zorilla 01-22-2012 06:34 PM

Good for you!!!
Having a sponsor is saving my life!!!

Anna 01-22-2012 06:37 PM

I'm glad to see you're working on your recovery.

omegasupreme 01-23-2012 06:39 AM

Hopefully you bought a big enough bottle of wine to bring(beat) you into that state of willingness, yanno, willing try something different.

Peace

Omega

augustwest 01-23-2012 06:42 AM

Why get a sponsor and then drink? surely you see the absurdity in that? try calling this person before you drink, and talk about how you feel. That's one of the functions of a sponsor. I'm glad you got one though, and good luck in your journey.

omegasupreme 01-23-2012 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by augustwest (Post 3253265)
Why get a sponsor and then drink? surely you see the absurdity in that? try calling this person before you drink, and talk about how you feel. That's one of the functions of a sponsor. I'm glad you got one though, and good luck in your journey.

If the cat can "not drink" on their own power then why would they need to get a sponsor?

My sponsor is not interested in how I feel, I can assure you that, and when a protege calls me I am not interested in how they feel.

As a sponsor my job is to guide you through the steps, yanno, show you precisely how I recovered. Yanno, real life applications to the underlying spiritual principles, because life isn't going to change, but through a course of action my perspective on it can be changed to the point where I never have to have another drink or drug again.

:)

augustwest 01-23-2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by omegasupreme (Post 3253544)
If the cat can "not drink" on their own power then why would they need to get a sponsor?My sponsor is not interested in how I feel, I can assure you that, and when a protege calls me I am not interested in how they feel.

As a sponsor my job is to guide you through the steps, yanno, show you precisely how I recovered. Yanno, real life applications to the underlying spiritual principles, because life isn't going to change, but through a course of action my perspective on it can be changed to the point where I never have to have another drink or drug again.

:)

Excellent point in the highlighted text. But when it comes to feelings, my sponsor cares, and i care about my sponsees feelings. And we talk about them. I'm not a therapist, but i sure will listen to someone explain where they're at emotionally and process that, in addition to showing them how i got through a similar situation without drugs or alcohol, and how the steps have changed my perspective on life.