SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   6 weeks sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/246774-6-weeks-sober.html)

soberbrah 01-22-2012 06:10 AM

6 weeks sober

hardest part isnt not drinking for me, its finding stuff to do other than just not drinking

feels good though, anxiety and depression are way down

Nirvana1 01-22-2012 06:20 AM

Good job bro. Keep it up.

Bikeguy 01-22-2012 06:58 AM

Nice work, congratulations on the 6 weeks.

Anna 01-22-2012 07:01 AM

Congratulations!

soberwingz 01-22-2012 07:10 AM

Well done! Thanks for sharing your good news.

jocata 01-22-2012 07:52 AM

Good job brah!!

God bless.

Josiegirl 01-22-2012 08:15 AM

Great Job on 6 weeks!!!!!

:c011:

2granddaughters 01-22-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by soberbrah (Post 3252028)
hardest part isnt not drinking for me, its finding stuff to do other than just not drinking

feels good though, anxiety and depression are way down

I find that going to meetings regularly and encouraging the other newcomers keeps me "on the beam".

Good luck in your recovery !

Bob R.

1undone 01-22-2012 08:20 AM

:c011: Excellent!

sissy07 01-22-2012 10:49 AM

Congratulations, soberbrah!

Impurrfect 01-22-2012 10:52 AM

(((soberbrah))) - Congratulations!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

stepping 01-22-2012 11:04 AM

WTG Brah!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up. I also struggle to learn a life without alcohol. We will get there. Every day will get easier :)

Itchy 01-22-2012 11:13 AM

Congrats! It is exciting to be with you here as you learn.
:c011:
If you had the money, what would you wish to do? Maybe not today, maybe before you started drinking. You have the money you used to spend on booze. Why not take a few hundred and drive to a major town for an art exhibit, or a museum you've never seen before? Try sky diving, or scuba diving whichever you are nearest. Too cold, take a ski lesson or twenty.

I don't know about others but what held me back so long was the conditioned response to going out from being a heavy drinker/alcoholic/drunk/problem drinker for so long. It took me a long time. almost a year to fully realize how free I was now. Before I quit, for years the thought of driving or going out involved the risk of DUI, social embarrassment for my drinking, paranoia of Law enforcement for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was the open container law.

Did you ever watch the movie "The Shawshank Redemption?" Remember the guy that could not adapt to being free and hung himself because of conditioning? I had a little of that, but not the suicidal part, just the feeling that I can't do some things because I could not for years. Quitting the slow suicide of drinking proved that I wanted to live, and even more, live a life and not a lie.

So there I was at six months and more and I was sitting there doing the same things I did when I was drinking. Isolating and staying home a lot. Not out of fear of drinking, it was just the self-conditioning of a good high functioning alcoholic. (Yes folks I also believe the words High Functioning and Alcoholic combined are an oxymoron but that is another topic.)

I had to force myself to go out, shop, go to shows, and do things. Most of all get off my dead axe and get back into shape, physically and emotionally, which both take working out.

Once I realized how free I was, it became a bit overwhelming because there are now so many possibilities for me I was terrified to choose! NO excuses anymore. And I wasn't the brilliant conversationalist or creative genius that alcohol made me feel like. Then I realized neither was anybody else! I was good enough, and began the long learning curve in any relationship to get to know and love another. Except now I was meeting me for the first time in ages and I had changed. Like an old friend, I was glad to have back, warts and all, I found myself . . . period.

Go out and find yourself. Or hang in there for a year until you decide to. Or you could cut the learning curve short and start having fun today. Unless you aren't through grieving for alcohol. I never grieved. I spat on its grave. And smiled.

You see, the best revenge is living well.
:c033:

GirlFromCO 01-22-2012 01:35 PM

Nice :) Good that you've stuck with it.

zorilla 01-22-2012 07:24 PM

Awesome on the 6 wks sober!!!!!!

IndaMiricale 01-22-2012 07:37 PM

Absolutely awesome :)

You got great advice here, so just start reeducating your mind without the alcohol, it will come just takes time. :)

Good love, Inda

Scolova 01-22-2012 07:46 PM

WTG Brah!

skylarkswings 01-22-2012 07:52 PM

That's great, keep going in that direction!

EllenMiller 01-22-2012 07:54 PM

great post