Notices

can i make it?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy can i make it?

I am going to come clean, in more ways than one. I've been on prescription painkillers for years and have stolen from family. I have been blessed with not having to score off other people on the street or buy pills. I did buy poppies online once. Been on everything from lortab to dilaudid and I used to love every second of it. Not anymore. I gradually felt like I was drowning and for the first time I was starting to come up for air. I've detoxed before but I've really only quit once. Now I'm on less than a half of hydrocodone 5:5/500 but I just got shitload of 7:5 so I look forward to cutting those down. To anyone who has an addiction or is still feeling it I just want to say you're not alone and I've got your back as much as I can. Because going through this truly makes you want to help other people.

Having quit figs and some dabbled with alcohol I can say this was opiates are terrible and prescription ones are so goddamn dangerous because its an easy habit to conceal especially with pills. I wanted to tell some people and hear your story and support if you're at all interested. I'm in a rare moment of clarity bc I took my dose not too long ago. I

All I can say is I choose life, its as simple as that. Going to a movie now so ill check back afterwards. By the way, I'm not really religious. Not even sure I believe, not in 12 step that's for sure

I was taking a 1/8 of hydrocodone 5:5/500 yesterday. Down from several 10mg of oxycodone a day. Tapering from a half a lortab to the 1/8 was too much for me. How do I properly taper down from half a 5:5 lortab to nothing without too much withdrawals?I can't do the cold turkey thing again, I know I would kill myself. It was too much for me to ever experience again. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies.

Also on my second month of zoloft, I've been taking tramadol and hydroxyzine hcl and zolpidem er. What do I do? Someone help me, please
Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unhappy taking a shower real quick

It seems to be the ond thing that really really helps a lot. On another note I woke ip not too long ago and I have not taken any narcotics as of yet I did not feel the withdrawals yet. Unlike yesterday I did not wake up in a cold sweat.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Welcome liveman! You have come to the right place. You will find lots of support here.

I will say first that I don't think it's a good idea to try to detox without medical guidance or medical supervision. It can be very dangerous. I also think that you stand a greater chance of success at getting clean if you can get some medical intervention because even if your detox symptoms are mild, they can still be troublesome and may cause you to go right back on the pills to avoid the discomfort. So I would recommend the first thing you do is see your doctor and, as you said, come clean. If you are honest about your habit, they can give you the help you need.

I also had an addiction to hydros. I had an accident about 20 years ago that caused me to fracture a couple of vertebrae. My doctor was very liberal with the painkillers, and in less than a month, I was addicted. Kept having to take higher and higher doses just to get the same effect. Since the effect was weakening, I started combining the hydros with alcohol to "kick up" the buzz. After about 6 months of this, my roommate came home one night to find me on the floor, having taken God-knows-how-many hydros and drinking at least one bottle of wine. I ended up in the hospital on a 72 hour psychiatric hold (they thought I had attempted suicide, and maybe I did, who knows). They did not do much to help me with the detox so the withdrawals were a living hell. I was finally released with a prescription for Valium, which I took for about a week and then decided I didn't want or need ANYTHING. I didn't want to go through the hell of having to wean off yet another prescription drug.

A decade later, I substituted the pills for alcohol and ended up in another dreary place. That's the addictive personality for you ....

These days, I make sure my doctors know that I've had an addiction to prescription painkillers and I ask them not to prescribe them for me unless I am in complete agony. And even then, I ask for just a short course of them with no refills. I don't want to be tempted by them again.

In any event, I hope you are serious about getting clean. You can do it. Just be sure you do it the safe way, and please see your doctor. We will support you as much as you need it.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do this! I'm on day 4 of cold turkey withdrawal from lortab. If you still have the load of 7.5s you better flush them or get them away from you somehow. You don't need that temptation.

I'm not religious either - stone cold atheist in fact. You aren't alone here.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you've made the decision to stop using drugs.

We do understand how hard this is and we're here to offer support.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livemanwalking View Post
By the way, I'm not really religious. Not even sure I believe, not in 12 step that's for sure
Most of us came in that way, not a problem.
Please check with your Doctor so he/she knows what's going on with you and get into NA or rehab.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Bob R.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi livemanwalking

I reckon yes you can make it

You'll find a lot of support here, but we cant give you medical advice, I'm afraid. It's against our rules.

I hope you'll check with your Dr., or find a new one.

You might also like to read around in our substance abuse forum:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

you'll also find support and experience there

D
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

OK Dee This is getting weird seems like the last couple post you were right ahead of me. I am NOT STALKING YOU

Let's face it coming down no matter what the substance is sucks doggiee doo doo. Some of us come down harder than others, I know my last come down I wouldn't want to wish that on my worst enemy. I went off of Zanax, Vikidin, Meth, Pot, and WDYG (What Do You Got). I thought I was going to die. Matter of fact on day 3 I almost went to the hospital. But I didn't. I don't like Doctors that much.

You can do this. How you do it is really your judgement. It really doesn't matter on what or how much we used. Who our connections were, what we did or didn't do. The only thing that matters right now at this moment Is YOU! And what can we do to help you!

Do you need us here to keep talking we can do that pretty good. So Yeah, if we here at SR and I know a lot of these people for many years can do this, than by all means, if you are sick and tired of being sick and tired than you have already opened the door to Recovery!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by livemanwalking
By the way, I'm not really religious. Not even sure I believe, not in 12 step that's for sure
Lacking faith in HP's or God will present no hindrance in your chance of recovering from your addiction.

I would suggest that you keep active here at SR for support and as a place to offer support to others going through the process of reclaiming their (as your) life from the grip of active addiction.

I wish you great success with tapering downing from the opioid addiction. I know its the best way but I could never make it work, so it was cold turkey for me every single nasty time.