SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Snow day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/246728-snow-day.html)

yellieee 01-21-2012 11:37 AM

Snow day

Last winter every snow day was filled with so much stress and anxiety over whether my dealer would could out in the snow or if he was going to run out. I even one snow day walked 2 miles in almost three feet of snow in order to meet up with someone for drugs. This winter, I am drug-free and it feels amazing to just watch movies, read, and hang out with my boyfriend.

Yet another perk of not being a slave to drugs :)

I hope everyone is staying strong!

xo Yellie

neferkamichael 01-21-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by yellieee (Post 3251141)
Last winter every snow day was filled with so much stress and anxiety over whether my dealer would could out in the snow or if he was going to run out. I even one snow day walked 2 miles in almost three feet of snow in order to meet up with someone for drugs. This winter, I am drug-free and it feels amazing to just watch movies, read, and hang out with my boyfriend.

Yet another perk of not being a slave to drugs :)

I hope everyone is staying strong!

xo Yellie

Although I now live in subtropical zone, I did the same thing you did for 15 years. Just lucky I didnt freeze to death because of my addict to various chemical substances. Drug free, me too. Have a good day. :Flower:

2granddaughters 01-21-2012 12:12 PM

And today, in my Canadian climate, it's still easy to talk myself out of going to the meetings.

Thanks for reminding me of what I used to go through to get my fix.. and why I should go through the same length to get to my meetings.

Bob R.

Dee74 01-21-2012 01:36 PM

I don't get snow days in the tropics LOL but I certainly walked enough miles, usually out of my head, in mad heat and rain to get what I wanted, so I get you Yellieee :)

D

yellieee 01-21-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks everyone for making me realize that I am not alone in going to extreme lengths to get a fix, it always helps to know that it was my addiction talking, not me. We are all above our addiction, no matter what it is.

2granddaughters, I am happy that I reminded you to put the same effort into your recovery as you did to getting your fix. We all need a reminder sometimes. I love that SR allows us all to support eachother, and keep eachother safe and healthy.

Stay strong, happy, and healthy everyone!

:) Yellie

Hevyn 01-21-2012 03:03 PM

Hey yellieee - good post! Oh, those memories. I can't believe I justified walking through a hurricane to the liquor store once - high winds & flooding, but out I went into the storm. Makes me cringe now. :)

Impurrfect 01-21-2012 03:06 PM

I totally get it - walked the streets in the middle of an ice/snow storm and when it was over 100 degrees. When the weather gets bad, I still say "thank you, I'm not out there doing stupid stuff!!"

Enjoy your snow day!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

katrinka 01-21-2012 03:43 PM

I am so thankful I'm not driving to the store for more wine, which meant I was driving under the influence. How shameful! never again.

nexttime 01-21-2012 03:52 PM

I used to love blizzards in the winter and thunder storms in the summer because my buddies and I would use the storms as an excuse to drink. The call would go out to everyone "Drinking weather, meet at ......". Lucky for me I live in a mild climate these days :c033: