Notices

Can we talk about the withdrawal nightmares?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can we talk about the withdrawal nightmares?

I'm finally able to sleep thanks to the atavin I am tapering with along with my detox program, but don't want to because I am so terrified.

I have no idea how my brain even comes up with these. They are unspeakably scary, violent, often sexual, more so than any horror movie I have ever scene (their fast pacedness and chaoticness probably adds to this) and I could never think of such things in waking life.

How do you guys deal with these?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didnt have medication as I detoxed at home (couldnt take time off work) but the nightmares were very scary and disturbing some which involved my dead father and upset me massively ... the only thing I CAN say is I'm of day 20 today of my recovery and they have stopped ... Im still having very vibrant and active dream sequences but the horror and disturbed patterns have stopped in the last 7 days ... stick with it hun, it WILL pass .. I'll be thinking of you xxx
Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think they're very common - I'm afraid I don't know of any way of dealing with them other than just to get through them.

Like Isabella said, they do pass

D
Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like Isabella above my nightmares have stopped, day 20 for me also, and yep, still have some pretty crazy and vivid dreams, but I'm no longer suddenly waking up at 4am sweating, screaming and fearing for my sanity... Newmw it will go, it has to! It is horrible we all know. Hang on in there and it will be ok, it's your body getting rid of the last of the demons I reckon!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

on the plus side ... it can make you appreciate the nights you dream of things you may have forgotten in the drunken haze .. I had a dream last week where I wwas back in my childhppd home, a happy memory playing with my brother and sisters when my dad was still alive .. was a nice memory that my mind hadnt thought about for years
Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I went to sleep again and they started again. I couldnt bare it any longer. I think I got enough sleep anyways. I'm going to stay up now. I took melatonin and I hear it intensifies dreams. I will stop doing that.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still have pretty intense dreams but I tend to be desensitized now. I'm like oh well another homicidal dream whatever. LOL I don't dare keep a dream journal! LMAO!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to get those too. Especially after stopping the opiate abuse. They did finally go away.

God bless.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Our emotions are all over the place. For me, it was while awake, then came the vivid nightmares. Mine were scary, but not so violent. I never watched much violence, I either shut my eyes or changed a channel; I didn't have too much to base my nightmares on, but I was chased a lot. I did get to see my fiance in several dreams, knowing he is dead, but it was kinda good to be with him in my dreams. These dreams went away. Our brains keep healing!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thenewmw View Post
Well I went to sleep again and they started again. I couldnt bare it any longer. I think I got enough sleep anyways. I'm going to stay up now. I took melatonin and I hear it intensifies dreams. I will stop doing that.
Wow, I couldn't imagine taking melatonin during my first couple weeks. I just finished up week 2 today. Melatonin takes my regular drunk dreams from a 1 to a 10 in terms of intensity and detail and how much I remember. I've had some pretty horrific nightmares since quitting drinking. Really terrifying, scary images also form in my mind if I let my thoughts blank out at night. Luckily, they are subsiding A LOT ...but I would really freak myself out if I took melatonin during this weird stage.

And you are right, the dreams contain things so horrible that I could never, ever think of if I was awake. There are dreams so violent and gory that I could not describe them here - way too graphic.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by isabella1bella View Post
I didnt have medication as I detoxed at home (couldnt take time off work) but the nightmares were very scary and disturbing some which involved my dead father and upset me massively ... the only thing I CAN say is I'm of day 20 today of my recovery and they have stopped ... Im still having very vibrant and active dream sequences but the horror and disturbed patterns have stopped in the last 7 days ... stick with it hun, it WILL pass .. I'll be thinking of you xxx
I had some shocking ones, too, but on day 20 today too and i don't have them anymore. I have actually forgot most of them... I was waking every few hours thinking 'what the hell'.

It DOES end. Hang in there.

Sunny xx
Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thenewmw View Post

How do you guys deal with these?
With the help of the members. I always thought that MY pains and fears and discomforts were different or worse than other folks. It's nice to say "I'm scared as hell" and have the guy next to you say "I know what you mean, mine were bad for a while too. They do go away".
If I didn't have the reassurance of the others, I would have given up just before the miracle happened.

Best wishes to you.

Bob R.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you're talking about man. They are awful, scary, fast-paced like you said, and thoughts you don't even know how you come up with. I don't know any way to make these stop, but they will go away eventually. You just gotta keep hanging in there buddy. You can do this!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Night 22 and I awoke at the right time with no bad nightmares, a proper deep sleep and feel nice, fresh and awake, I think the best nights sleep I have had for years. I know there will still be bad nights sleep ahead but it certainly gets better! STICK WITH IT!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another day 1 today. Fam was over and left tons of beer but poured it out this morning before work. Drinking showed me just how much I rather be sober.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

the dreams subsided after a few months for me, but it was intense at first. i viewed it as a window into how fractured my personality had become in addiction, and as i continue to heal the frequency and severity of these dreams has lessened greatly.