Notices

Day 9 and exhausted

Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 and exhausted

Am on day 9 today and feeling good overall. My biggest issue seems to that by 7 or so in the evening I feel so exhausted. I used to stay up until around 10:30 and now find myself in bed by 8 at the latest.
I understand my body is still recovering form years of abuse and it may take some time, just wondering if anyone may have some feedback on this. TY
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think listening to your body's need for rest is the way to go. It might be an idea to try some kind of exercise during the day, even just going for a walk.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR MilwGreg

I think most of us find the few few weeks can be really draining. I think Anna's idea of listening to our bodies is a good one

D
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

things were all over the place generally for me for at least six months. There were fluctuations in emotions, moods, energy, sleep, motivation etc etc. Things only slowly get back on track. That's the way it is . It helps not to over analyse it, and accept that this adjustment takes time. I am now 8plus months and things are still changing for me, but going with the flow is OK.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JFD

MilwGreg,

Hang in there. I'm only on day 38 and for the first 3 weeks or so, I progressed from not being able to sleep at all to falling asleep then waking every couple of hours to lately, sleeping
6-8 hours every night! As others have pointed out - it takes a while for your brain and body to reprogram. It's all worth it in the end and although I'm still not out of the woods yet, yesterday was the best I've felt literally, in years. I found myself happy, energenic and thought to myself 'I can't remember the last time I felt this good'.

Good luck!

JFD
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

MilwGreg.

I just stopped taking mid day naps and needing them! Thought I was doomed to be tired all the time for the rest of my life. LOL Don't worry your body just needs to heal. Let it!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I got physically tired, really tired after 3 weeks, & it lasted another month or two, then it all fell into place. Everyone is different!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Going back to Anna's first reply, it is 1 degree in Milwaukee as I sit here, a walk is not an option
I saw my Doctor on Tuesday and see her again again tomorrow. She told me on Tuesday that she wants me in the gym and is buying me a membership. Even though I am still scratching my head as to why she would do that, I look forward to getting in and starting to work out.
Even though I am going to bed earlier than I would prefer, it is refreshing waking up in the mornings not being hungover.
Thanks again!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Greg! I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. I experienced it to. You hit the nail on the head: after years of abuse, it takes time for the body to get back into sync. And you are right, waking up in the morning with energy and not hung over is great!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your body is adjusting.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Greg, Im on day nine also and tomorrow is big for me because its "double digits". My energy level has been pretty high but i am going to the gym AND napping..... they seem to both be helpful. BOL TO BOTH OF US!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's a gift in early sobriety that your body wants to go to bed early. This way you don't have to deal with the mental challenge of craving a drink (which goes hand in hand with early sobriety) as long each evening. You go to bed early sober and you wake up feeling so relieved and happy that you made it through another evening without drinking. Hang in there! Keep on keeping on, MilwGreg!