SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My story (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/246457-my-story.html)

allbrian 01-18-2012 12:14 PM

My story

Hi, my name is Brian. I am a 30 year old husband and father of 2 great kids. I am also an alcoholic. I used to love going out with friends on weekends and getting wasted, then it was one or 2 nights a week too (wing nights were my favorite). Then sometimes i would grab a 6 pack once in a while. 6 became 12. Once in a while became almost daily. My relationships and career started to fall apart (fights with the wife and sick days at work). I live 20 minutes from work and i would have to buy a 6 pack just to drink on the way home. the other night i got so drunk i slept in my basement in my cloths and missed the morning of work. I got in sh*t when i got there. Then when I got home my wife told me she was going to leave with the kids if I didn't get help (I don't blame her). I am now 3 days sober and I found this site while looking for different methods of recovery. I am excited about getting to know some of you and see how you overcame your addiction.

IndaMiricale 01-18-2012 12:18 PM

Fantastic on your decision and Welcome :welcome

This a great place for support. Keep comin on and reading and posting. And come check out the chat room if you want to talk. :)

Good love, Inda

Fubarcdn 01-18-2012 12:24 PM

:welcome to SR allbrian
Your story is somewhat similar to mine.
I came here looking for help in 2009 when my wife said either quit drinking or move out.
That ultimatum was the wake up call I needed to get my life straightened out.
I quit completely for 10 months and then she started to ease up on the ultimatum. I started out drinking moderately but in the last four months I was frequenting the bars more often so on Jan 1 I joined the class of January here and am back to total abstinence before I get another ultimatum.
The biggest regret I have is the wasted time from my kids when they were young (grown now) so I hope you can do this now and not feel that regret when they are older and moved out.
Good luck.

langkah 01-18-2012 12:31 PM

Good you're determined to remove the drinking trouble from your life. Thing slowly improve as you find new answers.

flamingredhair 01-18-2012 12:36 PM

Hi, Brian!

desertsong 01-18-2012 12:38 PM

Great job on your 3 days! Stay stopped - it is so worth it. My family was falling apart due to my drinking as well, and my kids saw/heard so many things they shouldn't have. We can't get that time back, but we can change our future ... one day at a time. You will find a lot of support here. Welcome!

allbrian 01-18-2012 12:45 PM

Thank you for all the well wishes. I will attend my first AA meeting tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to call family and friends and tell them I'm an alcoholic. I'm sure most of them know. lol. I think if I admit that to my friends and family they will not only support me, but cause me to really do this so I don't disappoint them. I look forward to getting to know some of you and hearing your stories. It's awesome to see so many people who have quit drinking. It gives me lots of hope.

Lind 01-18-2012 12:46 PM

Welcome Brian!! That is awesome that you are doing this! I am on my 3rd day so can totally relate!! This site has really helped me and i know it will help you!! You can do this!!! Lind

kiknit 01-18-2012 12:47 PM

It's good to hear you are seeking help. Especially while you and your family are relatively young. Do this for yourself and your kids. Welcome to this site. Congrats for taking the first step.

Hooped 01-18-2012 12:50 PM

Hi Brian and welcome.
Your story is very familiar to a lot of us here.
I finally got it through my head that I can never drink again.
You can too.

soberwingz 01-18-2012 12:52 PM

Welcome Brian, and thanks for sharing with us. Lots of support and wisdom here. You will be amazed at how much things will improve at home and at work once you quit. Its not easy, but it can be done.

Please keep us posted.

Jabbadabutt 01-18-2012 01:34 PM

Yeah the party is over. Welcome to getting your life back.

Hevyn 01-18-2012 01:41 PM

Welcome Brian. This is the place that helped me get well after I drank most of my life away. That won't happen to you because you already know what needs to be done. I was in denial for many years, always insisting I could control it if I just used willpower. That led to dui's, wrecked relationships, job & financial troubles - well, you know.

Be proud of yourself for not continuing with the insanity & for seeking help. This is a wonderful place, and you'll never be alone.

allbrian 01-18-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jabbadabutt (Post 3247612)
Yeah the party is over. Welcome to getting your life back.

I think it will just be a differant party. One that i can remember. :)

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words. It feels awesome to know i can just log on and chat when I'm dying for a drink.

least 01-18-2012 03:14 PM

welcome to this great and supportive international family.:)

Dee74 01-18-2012 03:20 PM

welcome to SR allbrian

D

Dazee 01-18-2012 03:45 PM

great!

Originally Posted by allbrian (Post 3247550)
Thank you for all the well wishes. I will attend my first AA meeting tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to call family and friends and tell them I'm an alcoholic. I'm sure most of them know. lol. I think if I admit that to my friends and family they will not only support me, but cause me to really do this so I don't disappoint them. I look forward to getting to know some of you and hearing your stories. It's awesome to see so many people who have quit drinking. It gives me lots of hope.

That's a pretty gutsy first move. Good for you. I'm on day 2 and its a little better but still scary. My family knows now (unfortuntately they came over to see me when I was staggering drunk) and are supporting me. I feel more pressure to be successful this time which I think may help.

At the same time I feel some old issues with my family being aggravated so it's a very uncomfortable time. I hope your family and friends are supportive.

Best to you!