Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If I don't do something now, I fear it might be too late one day.

Notices

If I don't do something now, I fear it might be too late one day.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good choice JA, wouldn't it be great if your life contained no further drinking related troubles to bother with?

As you know from your earlier visit to AA, many get sober in their early 20s and stay that way. I hung in there drinking and screwing up until age 28, but have been able to stay sober in AA since.

Welcome.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

We had a talk about "bottom" at AA yesterday. Seems to be that "rock bottom" is different for everyone. I hit "bottom" soooo many times before I finally got sober. My last one wasn't even as bad as some of the earlier ones, but it was the one that finally made me decide to get sober once and for all. It was already bad ... why would I want to wait and see if it could get any worse?

You will get sober when you are willing. That's the key. If you are willing, then you are ready. Start today. We will support you.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome JayAngel! Plenty of good comments have already been made. I'll just say that I wish with all my heart at 24 I had the sense to do what you're doing. I would have avoided the living hell that my life turned into - all because I didn't want the 'fun' to end, and I insisted I could use willpower to control the amount I drank.

You have a great attitude and so much to look forward to. I'm so glad you've joined us - this is a wonderful place. Keep talking Jay.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A young nephew told me I drank too much beer a few years ago. It's another one of those little flashes that let me know I wouldn't be drinking for the rest of my life.

I knew I was an alcoholic when I was 19 but it took me 27 years to quit. I have no regrets because I'm happy to be alive where I am right now but heavy drinking has been more of an obstacle than anything else in my life. Good luck quitting. It sounds like you have some good tools available.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome JayAngel! Plenty of good comments have already been made. I'll just say that I wish with all my heart at 24 I had the sense to do what you're doing. I would have avoided the living hell that my life turned into - all because I didn't want the 'fun' to end, and I insisted I could use willpower to control the amount I drank.

You have a great attitude and so much to look forward to. I'm so glad you've joined us - this is a wonderful place. Keep talking Jay.
Thank you! I'm on my way to my first voluntary meeting
Old 01-18-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Jay, I am going to take a slightly different angle on your cousin's comment because I think there is a very valuable lesson. I will admit that I don't have this notion fully flushed out, so I apologize in advance if it sounds like a ramble. The concept of bottom varies for everyone, but I have found one common trait in everybody who says they hit it: the very thought of alcohol repulses them. They don't yurn for when they can drink responsibly again. They no longer romantacize(sp?) Liquor. That doesn't mean they can quit and it doesn't mean that they don't crave. It just means they have finally hit rock bottom in their soul, and at all costs, if they have it within themselves to quit, they will do it, no matter the price.

The lesson here from your cousin who presumably knows you well is that maybe he/she is not sensing that notion of despair, and is afraid that without it, in time you will forget and fall back to the bottle. I for one tend to agree, but I also for one am in your shoes. Maybe even worse: No Dui's, rarely ever embarrassed myself over the years (although not without a few moments), and 99 of 100 of my memories are all happy. If I follow my logic though, then there is no hope for me at this juncture....obviously something I refuse and will not believe.

So how then will I compensate? Through others guidance, experience and counsel. SR has been invaluable at keeping me honest and calling my bluff. Everytime I think my experiencce is different, somebody posts my exact predicament and then tells me how it ends....not well! The big book has been one of the few books I can relate to in my core, and of course my commitment to God.

In a nutshell - you're doing great, you are an incredibly astute 24 year old trying to deal now while you are on top, and your future can wipe all the bad away. Build strength from others' experiences, and every time a drink feels right, go to a meeting or come and read here. Always remember, if booze were any good for you, the idea of quitting wouldn't exist.

Last edited by MentalLoop; 01-18-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo