Notices

Three months sober and a few long notes.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three months sober and a few long notes.

Today is my 3 months, but I'm not posting this to get a "good job" or "congratulations" - I've always liked to sit back and say that to others when they're doing good.

When the word statistic comes up, we usually try to find out where we fit in into whatever statistical graph or poll. When you're trying to figure out where you are within a statistic, you're trying to persuade yourself that you're like another group of people. I believe that we are our own statistic and we shouldn't rely on outside data to judge ourselves. It can be dangerous waters when you try hard to fit into a category and then later on question your decision.

The reason I bring this up is because some statistics say that when you reach a certain day / month / year in your recovery, that you're going to be fine. The dangerous part of this is when you relax how you feel because you've reached a statistical peak and you'll be completely fine. You're your own statistic and it's completely up to you on where you want to be on your own chart.

I can post and post and post while giving great advice and trying to give you tips and a nudge to get sober, but ultimately it's up to you to make those decisions. If you read and agree with posts, but you don't get up from your chair and change what you're doing, nothing will change. The road may seem like a dead end and you're sitting drinking beer / vodka / wine while thinking of quitting will not change what you're doing. When you change the thinking into doing, you can change your entire life.

Change sucks, the roller coaster ride of sobriety can be really crappy but those bumps are minor compared to what you're going through with alcohol. When you're activity doing something about your alcoholism and not just sitting around, you'll find that the world and life is a lot more amazing than you thought.

I use to wake up and have heavy eyes for 6 years of my life and now I wake up and look forward to getting going with the day. Why? Because I changed myself - I got up off my butt and did something for myself and the feeling is amazing because you know that it was you who changed you. Don't let society live your life for you, step up to the plate - get up off your butt - and do something for yourself. It'll be the biggest gift in life that you'll ever receive.

This is just a post and a post on a forum doesn't change someone. Encouragement is great and excellent, but what's more amazing is the gift of life that you'll be giving yourself if you ultimately decide to take action on your alcoholism.

Peace and Love.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only statistic I acknowledge is the 100% success rate I've had in my recovery this time around

Well done on your 90 days Gerb

D
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Feeling too comfortable & relaxed led me right back to drinking after 3 yrs. sober, so I agree with you there Gerbosko. I know better now, but what a price I paid for thinking that willpower could help me keep a lid on things.

I like what you said about waking up ready to face the day. The worst feeling in the world was opening my eyes and dreading the day in front of me. I don't miss the regret, remorse & guilt that always came the morning after. I treasure life now - no more staggering through the day in a fog.

I know it wasn't what you were looking for by posting, but congratulations on your 3 months, Gerb. You've added many good thoughts and humor to our place. I'm so glad you joined the family.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

7 Great going Gerbosko!!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Gerbosko))) - Congratulations on 3 months!!

I, personally, have no faith in statistics when it comes to recovery. I'm a recovering crack addict and have heard the statistics on how many of "us" recover and it's pretty depressing.

I can tell you that no one, of all the RA's, and, particularly, the fellow crackheads I knew, have ever been approached by someone tallying statistics. Whether it's because I've never been a part of a "formal program" or whatever, I'm coming up on 5 years clean and what I do works for me!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gerbosko,

Thank you for this.

M
Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well "good job" and "congratulations" nonetheless.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks and congrats Gerbosko. I got content and stopped doing what was keeping me sober after 3 years of not drinking or drugging. I learned a valuable lesson in that. I have to do something for my sobriety every single day or my goose is cooked.

Thanks again for your post.

God bless.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gerbosko I'm almost ten months sober at the end of this month and I loved reading that post. Action is key.....and continued action is vital.

Thanks for that - high 5 on the 3
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A friend on another forum recently celebrated 40 yrs sober, said she she had learned more in the last 10 yrs than she had in the first 30.

Kinda puts it in perspective. It's a "daily reprieve"..not a cure.

Wishing us all the best.

Bob R.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Good job, Gerbosko
Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well done, Gerbosko!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome!!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, it's really appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed what I wrote.

I have to do something for my sobriety every single day
I loved reading that because it's so very true. I like referring to sobriety as being on top of a mountain (hmm, wonder why I think about mountains? LOL!!), because you have outstanding views and you feel on top of the world.