Notices

Breathing and anxiety

Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Breathing and anxiety

I started paying attention to my breathing after reading a book from a Dutch psychologist about the benefits of breathing exercises for a healthy life. The theory is the best method of breathing is using your midsection and belly. The exhale should always take (a lot) longer than your inhale, for example inhale 3 seconds, exhale 7 seconds. A normal person in rest in- and exhales 4-8 times a minute.

Because of my drinking and using other drugs during the last 10 years I often had panic attacks and hyperventilation. I used my midsection for breathing and not my chest, which is ok, but my breath was shallow and too fast - 12 to even 20 times a minute.

Now that I am sober, I started doing the exercises daily and the results after 3 months are incredible! My anxiety is way down, I can prevent panic attacks by simply exhaling for 7 seconds, I don't fear crowded spaces that much anymore.

Is anyone else doing special breathing exercises?

The book also discusses controlled breathing during work-outs. Now that I pay attention to it, I can do slow cardio for a lot longer, as I have a slower but more balanced pace.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes! I also learned how to relax my jaw/mouth before sleeping to reduce grinding my teeth!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a heap of ideas here Geralt

Calm Clinic

D
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post
D
Old 01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely!

I found out about the breathing exercises many years ago when I was sober, but still struggling with panic attacks and anxiety. My first thought was that it was too simple, but it really helps. And, more than that, it has given me some confidence that I am not at the whim of my emotions.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use the Buddhist mindfulness breathing exercises (I'm not Buddhist, but they have a lot of good ideas). They helped me a lot to overcome crushing depression and guilt when I first started this process. I still do them frequently to help me even out my moods.

What I read is that there is some connection between your energy and your breathing. Whatever. I just know it works for me.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Yes! I also learned how to relax my jaw/mouth before sleeping to reduce grinding my teeth!
Hey sugarbear would love to learn more about ways to stop grinding my teeth, been at that for years..
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Thanks for the link Dee!

@Sunsailor I am checking out the Buddhist mindfulness breathing exercises, the info seems very interesting, I will have to try it out. Thanks!