Notices

Overwhelmed.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overwhelmed.

I'm completely overwhelmed. I tried to start cleaning up my apartment. I've collected all the empty beer cans and wine bottles and put them in one place..I washed the dishes.. but that was enough to make me cry. I'm either going to drink, or go to bed. I'm just not sure I know how to actually take care of myself anymore. Can anyone relate to that?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I felt totally lost, too.

My advice would be just take it easy. Do what you can, and that's it. It might help to make a to-do list and cross things off, so you can see that you are accomplishing something each day. I found that it was important to me to make and keep my house clean, tidy and comfortable. It helped me to relax and feel safe and to regain some of the control I had lost.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Overwhelmed....Means overpowered in thought or feeling....Yeah...I can relate to that.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I know exactly what you mean! Hang in there!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can totally relate! I started ripping apart and cleaning out my cabinets! Now everything sits on them and I don't know what do with it all...... Ughhh. If I didn't have 2 dogs, I would so leave it all there and deal tomorrow! But I can't do that, so back to the grind I guess!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I understand, too. I have taken the slow road to organizing, but in 8 months, I have one closet and my desk/office area left. It does get done, a little at a time.

Stay stopped! You are worth it! Give time time and be gentle on yourself.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I totally know where your coming from. I go on cleaning binges all the time or if im having a bad day I will lay on the sofa and watch disney movies just to make sure I dont go to the store. Tonight I had to put a couple extra dollars in the tank just to make sure I didnt have enough money to buy any alcohol. When I cant take it one day at a time Ill take it 5 minutes or an hour at a time.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

The same was true for me.....and it didn't just go away with the passage of time even though I hear it does for many ppl. The good news is that it, that constant uneasiness, forced me to dig deeper into recovery and to look for a better solution. So, in a way, those nasty feelings were the best thing that could have happened to me.

Maybe you're getting the same nudges?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

Yay! 5 cents a can! I recycled and I think it all went to chocolate! lol Welcome fellow Oregonian. Stick with it, it gets soo much better and sobriety rocks!