Notices

Very disappointed with myself

Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very disappointed with myself

I was on day seven yesterday and thoughts of drinking wine were on my mind throughout the day. When I was making supper my DH opened a bottle of wine, he does not have any problems with anything...he said that he felt bad opening it because I think that he knows I have been trying to avoid it (I have not came out and told him that I need a break. I know I should).

Anyway, I told him to go ahead and open it. He should not have to suffer because I'm struggling, right? Long story short, he has 2 glasses of wine and I drink a bottle and a half! Pretty pathetic now I feel like loser! I'm trying to use this as a learning experience though. I obviously have a problem.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my heart goes out to you, I have have had to distance myself from all drinkers and drinking situations as I know that if some-one opened a bottle of wine beside me right now, I would be the one posting what you had.

Maybe u need to confide in people around you and distance urself from those you cant confide in - at least until you feel strong enough to say No ... thats what I've had to do as Im not at the stage where I could say "no thank you" yet

best of luck and HUGS xxx
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, don't feel bad. use it to keep you strong.

I am day 15 now and have been out with friends who have been drinking the past two weeks and been fine, but that is because I know in my heart now what I am and what one glass will lead to. it has never changed in the past so a glass now would take me back to square one.

I am 39 now and started drinking at 18. It was a long time coming.

Do tell your husband and good luck. It gets better xx
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies, it does help to know that I'm not the only one who is struggling.

I am 39 and have been drinking since I was a teenager, except during my pregnancies and breast feeding. I have always known that I was not a "normal" drinker, probably from growing up in a dry house. My father was a recovered alcoholic (he quit before I was born) and my mother a non drinker. I grew up listening to AA tapes and going to meetings. I never wanted to be one of the people who could not drink but I guess I am.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My father was an alcoholic also but unfortunately he is dead the last 5 years. it was upon his death that I started hitting the bottle hard as he was my strength through bad times and without him I felt I couldnt cope and yet here I am now emulating his behaviourisms.
Im 31 and have no children although I desperately want a family and one thing I need to do is stay away from alcohol ...
Im not strong enough to be around alcohol right now but if you are ... pat yourself on the back - you're alot stronger than you give yourself credit for xxx
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to change our lives LuckyGirl - and sometimes I think we can make it even harder when we don't let our nearest and dearest in on whats going on.

Do you think maybe you should talk to yr bf?

D
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Start over, hun, if you choose. You have me cheering your choice, no matter what! If you choose sobriety, and since hubby has no problem, can you talk with him and ask for more support? I have no problem with another's choice, but my bf won't even purchase it in front of me and he covers it so I can't even see it (which I think is both hilarious and quite sweet).

I wish you well!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, great for your Dad. It's so much better to not have an alcoholic around kids growing up. So that would make him about 40 years sober then if he's still alive-fantastic.

Someday you may run across an answer that can help alcoholics live well and sober for a very long time. Keep your eyes open for it.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't give up LuckyGirl! I had to start over many times too.

You can do this.

God bless.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep at it girlie . You can do it, talk to your hubby, I'm sure he will be supportive. As far as him drinking around you, ask him not to, if he is supportive, he won't, not for a while anyways.
Good luck!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LuckyGirl - I had many moments of weakness until I grew more determined. In my heart I knew what had to be done, though. The times I caved were valuable, because they proved to me that I had no control. I know you can do it - I did after a lifetime of being out of control. Glad you came here to talk about it.