Notices

welcome to my crazy world - love to hear your advice

Old 01-15-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool welcome to my crazy world - love to hear your advice

I stopped drinking cold turkey yesterday so its night 2.

I have been having next to zero alcohol free days for years in between pregnancies where i was very good.

I drink approximately 1-1.5 bottles of wine per evening.

It's time now, yesterday. to take back control.

Since my marriage broke up i have looked at it as a way to avoid thinking and as a way to relax me.

you will never catch me out at a pub being stupid or looking really drunk.

I think I do it rather well but i don't feel good and its just been something i have put off until now. My partner would not necessarily agree.

I am giving it up for my weight, my health, my kids, my relationship, to encourage my partner, to save money and to make sure I achieve my potential.

I dont feel addicted I just feel in a massive habit that controls me mentally and I never fight it because it feels good and I enjoy it.

It however makes me retain fluid, it is bad for my skin and my organs and my moods and feelings about myself. I've done it before and i look and feel sooo much better and think more clearly.

Love to hear if anyone can relate or if anyone has good positive advice or similar stories or even success stories to keep me motivated.

thats all folks.

Last edited by maryclark; 01-15-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: general editing
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Given the amounts you're putting away I agree that you'll feel better, look better, operate more effectively in your life and be healthier without it. If you find yourself drinking despite all that and deciding not to then that means you've a serious problem you'd prefer to think you don't have.

Within a few months you'll know which side of the social drinking/alcoholic equation you belong on.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Being sober is a healthier way to live. Being committed to sobriety is a choice. It is very liberating once you get the hang of it.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

I am quite similar to you only I drank beer.
I know that not drinking will improve the quality of my life and my relationship with my wife and kids, which is my main motivation.
I am only into it 2 weeks this time but I did go close to a year last time and the extra money is great.
Good luck. It is worth it.
Oh and to SR.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! My drinking followed a pattern similar to yours. I drank about a bottle, or a bit more, of wine every day. I could quit for a while and then would start up again. I feel that the drinking was more of a habit than it was a compulsion or true alcoholism but, whatever it was that caused me to drink is irrelevant, I still drank. I drank more than was good for me, I had to battle escalation on a daily basis, and I did not feel that I was in control of my drinking. Moreover, I liked myself better when I was sober than I did when inebriated.

I quit once, for over thirty years, but then started again during a time of personal stress. I found it more difficult to quit this second time than I did the first but have finally managed it, I believe. I am now over a month sober and feel good about it. This site has helped me a lot with staying quit. Good luck to you with your new-found sobriety.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can totally relate. I tell myself often that I quit drinking because of the S.H.O.W (I was tired of being sick, hungover, overweight and wasted). I am glad you are here.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome maryclark!

Glad you've decided to get sober. I drank about a bottle of wine per night, too, and even though no one would have thought I didn't have it together, I found that I got more and more miserable inside.

This forum is my daily "treatment" and inspiration. I know you'll find the same kind of support here that I have......
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I could have written this, we are totally in the same boat! Good luck to you! I love wine so so so much these have been the longest 6 days for me, but I am doing it for the same reasons you are.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

D