Notices

Need to stop

Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop

Hey guys, just posting for a bit of support. I've decided I need to stop drinking and I might post in here every now and again to keep myself on the right track.

Been drinking for 7 years now, had a drink problem from the moment I started. I can remember the first time I got drunk well, it felt like I'd finally found a way to be like everyone else. Within a few weeks I was drinking every day until I had my first full black out and loss of consciousness. Gave up for three months, was soon back in a similar state.

I spent the next three years causing myself a ton of problems with drinking.. blacking out, no idea what I did or how I got home, getting a reputation as a drunk. After a particularly disastrous night out I got into AA for a bit, then went back to drinking.

I don't get physical symptons from hangovers but last year, started getting really extreme paranoia after nights out. I'd always spent days obsessing over what I did or what I said, but last year I started panicking that the police were gonna come and get me for something I'd done and couldn't remember.

Anyway last week I went out and blacked out and could hardly remember a thing from the whole night. I woke up still smashed and phoned someone to find out what the hell happened, turns out I yelled the most disgusting, offensive things possible to anyone who would listen, tried to come onto any girl who came near me and tried to beat the crap out of a couple of people. I then came home and rampaged through the place, throwing furniture around then going into people's rooms naked and screaming racist obscenities.

I started off drinking to feel like everyone else, but I don't see anyone else doing these things.

If I keep things up, pretty soon I'm gonna **** off the wrong person and get put into hospital, or I finally am going to get arrested. It's a small miracle that neither of these things have happened yet, as I've got the foulest mouth imaginable when drunk.

I'm known as a bad drunk and many people have called me an alcoholic, so it's not as if it's any big secret that I have a problem. The other thing is I'm 24 now, so I'm no longer your typical drunk young guy having a good time (if anyone ever thought that was the case). There's a line between that and an absolute social menace, and I think I've finally crossed it. I have a good job and promising career and don't want to jeopardise that.

I don't think there's any doubt that I'm an alcoholic. An example of a time that made that clear to me was last year when I met up with some friends for a drink, I had 4 beers in the time they had 1, then when it was time to go home, I felt compelled to go off to another bar on my own to have 3 more.

Anyway sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it out there. I've been reading these forums for the last 5 years or so, knew I had a problem right from the start but chose to ignore it. Don't think I can afford to anymore!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi dogfish'
I need to stop too. Been at it 5 years. I'm a mess and so very scared. have done embarrassing stuff too like lashing out at people who have hurt me on facebook or sending weird emails. amazing how good with computer i am when sloshed and today i couldn't figure out how to post! But I am a sole parent and thank god my love and responsibility for my children has somewhat kept me in check.
i started drinking due to ptsd. I can stop it but i lead a very dull life and am very lost and lonely and end up picking it up again. So have joined here to connect-hopefully????
Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome dogfish and sweetheart -

I put off quitting as long as I could, too, thinking that just maybe I could manage to make it work for me. No surprise that things only got worse.

It was really scary to think about getting sober at first. For me it was better to just take it one day at a time - just focus on getting through the next day (hour, minute) instead of thinking about "forever."

At one time I thought I'd never stop - Now I wish I'd done it sooner - life is so much better on the other side. Keep reading and posting - none of us can do this on our own!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Hang in there guys and keep coming back here. Stay commited and you will NEVER have to go back to that chaos!! I feel you both as I have been there! It's up to YOU to stop the madness NOW! You can do this!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi dogfish, I'm in a similar position by the sounds of things, although I'm a bit older. My main motivation for stopping drinking is my weird/dangerous behavior. I have no idea what drinking responsibly means and have done some very stupid things and upset a lot of people over the years. Last year I ended up in the ocean in the middle of the night on my own - I don't live on the coast and can't swim. I'm lucky I didn't drown. I also had a bust up with my house-mate and had to move back to my parents' place. It wasn't my fault what happened to begin with, but i reacted terribly to something that wasn't such a big deal in hindsight and screwed myself up by doing so.

Sweetheart, I've also made a complete ass out of myself on facebook etc. and lashed out at people. The first thing I do the morning after I drink is drag myself to the pc and delete a load of bizarre or abusive posts. I have to deactivate my account before I go out so i can't log on while drunk.

Every time I wake up I hate myself for doing the same thing over and over, but then tell myself I'll not do it next time, that I'll drink less or avoid a certain drink etc. etc. It never works and I make the same mistakes time and time again. I've finally realized that I just need to stop. I guess I'm unhappy/depressed and alcohol "seems" to help (of course, in reality it just makes everything worse). I'm naturally fairly shy so when I do all this weird stuff i'm so embarrased by it. "Drunk me" also makes decisions and agrees to things I would never do sober, and then I back out of stuff and have to deal with the fall out. It feels like I am two different people sometimes.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi dogfish and sweetheart

Like Artsoul said I think many of us put off the idea of quitting for as long as we could, so I'm really glad to see both of you guys deciding to face up to dealing with stuff now - you'll find a lot of support here

Welcome

D