Notices

Changing from AA to NA...

Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing from AA to NA...

Ok...so I've been thinking very hard lately about changing from AA to NA. I'm coming up on 10 months soon. Whenever I've been in treatment I've always gravitated toward AA because truthfull I've always enjoyed the Big Book. I think it is beautifully written and indeed devinely inspired. And the contents of it have helped millions of alcoholics since Bill wrote it. But when I think about my history it's hard for me to relate to alcoholism. I mean sure I loved to go to bars and all but I was really mainly a hard drug user. I sold them, I stole money for them, and I shot them. I did have a brief period where it was mainly just alcohol but I was abusing but nothing like the abuse I did for hard drugs. And another thing is...I've never really been able to get fully comfortable in AA. Especially when it comes to sharing. Like I can share but it's VERY hard for me to not mention drugs because drugs are a FAR bigger part of my story than alcohol ever was. When I go to NA I feel lighter and more care free and more at ease. I wonder if that's because NA is MY crowd and where i BELONG? AA is just where I've always gone because it's all I've really known. I've almost got 10 months as a result for working with an AA sponsor, having an AA home group, and going to AA meetings. This is my 4th bout attempting recovery and I just feel like there's something lacking about my recovery. I think it just boils down to I'm able to relate better to NA than to AA. Has anyone else ever made the exchange from AA to NA? I've been thinking a LOT lately about transferring and getting a sponsor in NA and working the steps through the work book and I just believe I would get more out of it. Sorry if this thread jumps around. I'm not really good at posting my thoughts and feelings. Thanks everyone. and any comments or suggestions would be wonderful. Thanx again!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand where you are coming from. I always identified myself as an addict, opting for alcohol because it just numbed me to everything.

Then I did a real inventory my use of all substances, and found alcohol was really at the root of my malady.

For me where I'm at, NA and AA both apply. It's about addiction, and I'm an addict to many things in many ways.

My sponsor was a pot head and alcoholic, goes to both groups, but we use the big book in all are affairs.

I'm also blessed that where I am at NA and AA are all the same faces, but I find AA to be more focused on the steps and NA more about staying sober one day at a time.

Congrats on 10 months. Awesome.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have 10 months...Have you worked the steps in AA?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I abused alcohol and drugs as well. AA is where I have stayed mainly because it's where I started. In almost every meeting I have ever been, there are many cross-addicted people.

To me a drug is a drug whether it be alcohol or pills or pot. They all cause me to lose control and do things I normally wouldn't do.

For me it comes down to where I am comfortable and what is working. AA is where I am comfortable, and it works for me.

God bless.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Why not use both? I have lots of friends at my AA homegroup who do that. I don't see why you would have to "join" one and only attend those meetings.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Paperdolls. Even though I am a 100 percent drug addict I go to AA. You cant go wrong with either.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I started in NA simply because the identification i felt as a opiate junkie/cokehead/drunk was stronger in NA. That was vital at first. Now i attend meetings in both fellowships.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another vote for both.

What does your sponsor think of your idea ?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Both or either.

LOL (someone had to mix it up, yanno?)

Check out the NA in your area. Here in Mich, it's tough to find a good AA meeting and there are 100's of 'em around me vs only a handful of NA meetings.

I went through a phase too where I was in AA but started to think I'd be happier in NA. AA seemed more "hard core" in their working and apply of the steps vs NA seemed to be more relaxed and more into "feelings" and "fellowship." I had to get some additional information though....about what a real alcoholic is and what a real addict is. I had to grow beyond thinking I had a "drug of choice" and come to see what my drug of NO choice was. I also looked long and hard at what program presented the best opportunity for long term permanent success for me.

It may seem uncomfortable but I'd HIGHLY recommend talking to your sponsor about this stuff and just saying you're wondering if maybe NA might suit you better. Maybe it will.... I can't say. I can't see that checking out some NA meetings would hurt though.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm not sure the sponsors opinion matters ...... especially if it's one that discourages going to NA meetings.

How can you know if NA meetings will or will not help or enhance your recovery if you don't go check 'em out for yourself?

May be you'll decide you don't like it, may be you'll decide you like it more and quit AA, may be you'll to both. Bottom line, do whatever you need to do to stay sober and continue to grow.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Another vote for both.

What does your sponsor think of your idea ?
My sponsor is the same way, as is his sponsor who's been sober 35 years.

I believe there's a lot to be gained from participating in and studying both fellowships.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I went through the 12 steps the NA way and am now doing it through the big book. There are some minor differences, but ultimately recovery is recovery and i have to do what keeps me moving forward in the process. Going to meetings in both fellowships is also a great way to expand your friend possibilities and keep your recovery routine from getting stale. Doubling the potential meetings and people to meet is a great benefit!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

AK, I think you're right and your reasoning for changing to where you feel you best belong sounds solid. I sign in as a vistor when I very occasionally attend NA meetings to support others.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I'm not sure the sponsors opinion matters ......
My sponsor's opinion matters a lot.
Often the oldtimers see things that a newer member misses or hasn't learned yet.
In the end, the decision is mine but it's always good to get a "second opinion".
It has saved me a lot of grief in the past.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
My sponsor's opinion matters a lot.
I agree and my sponsors opinion matter a lot too. I just have to remember she's human and doesn't KNOW all the answers.