Notices

Needing Support From Online People

Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Needing Support From Online People

Hi;

This is my first time seeking any help from an online board, as there are no close AA, NA, or CA meetings where I live. I've been battling a cocaine, extacy and alcohol addiction for nearly three years. I've detoxed once, been in rehab once, and I just go back to the same vicious cycle.

I'm sick of it, and angry that I've let myself fall so far. If anyone can help me, please do. I live in a small town, so there's not a lot of ways to keep oneself occupied. Should I be a recluse for a bit? Should I go out? I'm confused.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there-

This is a great place to find support and give back as well.

One of the things I've struggled with is finding sober activities to do that are actually fun! I had no idea what to do when I first decided to stop drinking. After a couple of weeks, I find that a lot of activities were fun sober, and that I had so much more motivation to actually go out and try new things. One thing that helped me was to think about what I enjoyed doing as a child. Yes, I had to go back that far because I had not really done many activities sober since I was a teenager. What I found is that I really liked to write, read, play sports, arts and crafts, volunteering, animals... There are so many things you can do but I know exactly where you're coming from because at first I was like "Uh, now what?"
Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

It's the classic balancing act...I find it helpful to re-engage with my life and my community, but I also spend a lot of time here, and have to be conscious of times when I need to pull back from the outer world and concentrate on myself.

If you're serious about getting sober, you'll need to inform yourself and put together a solid plan of action. Mine, for example, includes this site, weekly therapy, just about any constructive activity I can get my hands on, expressing gratitude, knowing when to lean on others and ask for help, etc.

But what works for me may not work for you. This is a very personal and individual thing.

Welcome, and keep posting! You'll find a great deal of support here!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi beyondthesky

You'll find a lot of support here

I came here not really knowing anything about what to do - the community here really helped me decide on a course of action.

Read around, post as much as you like

You might also find our substance abuse forum of use as well
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

as for recluse or not - I stayed away for social events for a while, I also changed my circle of friends...

I didn't shut myself in tho, I just did things that weren't connected with booze or drugs, and hung around sober people & people who supported my sobriety...that worked for me, but everyone finds their own path I think

D
Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted and please know you can always find support here.

Balance is crucial to my recovery. I had to find healthy activities to fulfill my life and doing volunteer work was a life-saver for me.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Someone is here anytime you need to talk , you are not alone.

Cathy
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Beyondthesky,

I found that since being sober I just about enjoy most things. That has been the greatest gift of sobriety I actually enjoy life now. Where as before life was a chore.

I needed and still need support to stay sober. I use this forum and AA to stay sober. I haveto travel for around 4-5 hours to make a meeting but it is worth it, meantime this forum is invaluable.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 01-14-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Beyondthesky))) - Welcome to SR!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-14-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the feedback, everyone.

One of my closest friends came by today. She knows that I've been struggling with this, and she left work early so that she could come see me. My husband (who is also quitting with me), is nearby as well. I'm reaching out to as many sites as I possibly can, garnering as much information from people who have been through this.

I'm feeling a lot better, and I'm going to be booking a meeting with a drug counselor on Monday. I went and started writing down the things that I liked to do, and helping people was one of them. I want to be a supportive member to this community.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also have to say; even though I have a pounding headache, feeling lethargic and damn near destroyed, I have a smile on my face. I feel like I've finally got some clarity.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there Sky. There really is great support here, people that have been where you are, and know exactly how you are feeling.

Please keep on posting, reading, and searching this site. You will find your way with the help of everyone here.

Have you done a search for any meetings in your area? There might be some you just haven't heard about.

Any therapists or counselors you can talk to? Your doctor? They can be very helpful or refer you to someone who can be.

Hang in there.

God bless.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi beyonthesky. In just the hours since you first posted you sound more hopeful, I'm so glad.

SR brought me through a very dark time in my life. I'd come here and read (and cry) and eventually got up the nerve to say a few things. Reaching out to the people here relieved my anxiety so much - I hope you'll find it does the same for you. You're not alone in this. Great job on deciding to reach out for a new life! You can do it!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome, BeyondTheSky. You are in the right place. I'm glad you're here.

I did find it helpful to become somewhat reclusive in early sobriety. I read a ton, and examined my life. Not a lot got done, but I'm all the better for it now...5 months later. You can do this, and it certainly sounds like you're ready. Good luck. I look forward to your continued posts.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi beyondthesky and welcome!

Better days are ahead - glad you're here with us and congrats for recommitting to sobriety!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
Hang in there Sky. There really is great support here, people that have been where you are, and know exactly how you are feeling.

Please keep on posting, reading, and searching this site. You will find your way with the help of everyone here.

Have you done a search for any meetings in your area? There might be some you just haven't heard about.

Any therapists or counselors you can talk to? Your doctor? They can be very helpful or refer you to someone who can be.

Hang in there.

God bless.
I have done a few searches around, and the closest meeting is well over an hour away, and I have no means of getting there. My doctor is aware of my addictions, as well as a counselor, and my family knows as well. I've got the support network that is needed, but I have run into some difficulty in dealing with my family. My mother is a very anti -drinking, anti-drug woman, despite marrying my father (who was an alcoholic at the time).
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Alberta AA • Alcoholics Anonymous • AB
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

@Dee74

This is a good idea; maybe swapping out friends and avoiding these situations will be better, and I can avoid being a complete shut in. This can hopefully help me get more connected with my family, as some of that closeness has been lost over the years.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with the above posts, you seem much more hopeful. Volunteering is great, I've always found that helping others, even in a small way, makes me feel a lot better about what is going on in my own life. I hope you find something that makes you happy!