Notices

Laws of Attraction and focusing on labels.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Laws of Attraction and focusing on labels.

Just finished rewatching "The Secret" because I do believe in the Laws of Attraction since I know what I think about most whether it be positive or negative I am attracting more of it. I know for myself that labeling myself as an "alcoholic" or a person with a diagnosis as "Borderline Personality" I begin to define myself with these illnesses instead of focusing on my positive attributes and I start to become the labels and use them as excuses of why I am the way I am.

I use this website for a tool of motivation but I do not want to continue having alcohol run my life whether I am drinking it or focusing on not drinking it is still a part of my life even if I am abstaining it. I recently logged into a Mental Heath site I used to spend my days on reading posts or posting about mental health issues that allowed me to spiral into a deeper depression. Its great to find people to relate to and are going through similar experiences as yourself but I know for myself its like googling "swollen lymphnodes" and reading its a symptom of cancer then Ill continue reading and reading websites related to the same topic and then self diagnosing myself with a terminal illness.I start to believe in the worst possible outcomes and ignore the fact their could be a million reasons why I have swollen lymph node and 99% of those reasons are not life threatening.

In order to heal I must treat myself with kindness and stop beating myself up for the past. I am not a label but a person.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Just that bit of knowledge right there can help you. You can see that things are a bit out of balance. Knowing your liabilities is good, but focusing on them to the exclusion of your assets can be damaging, as you have discovered. Maybe try to get a little more balance in your life by doing some things that you enjoy and not just focusing on alcoholism or BPD. You are right...you are so much more than that!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

positive thinking helps me
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I try very hard to not label myself or other people.

But, I love coming here and I always find something uplifting and inspirational to read.