Notices

1 year, or NOT (man oh man, this should be LOTS of responses)

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I find this interesting because .......................................... at my Dr's appointment yesterday he and I got on the discussion of 'Medical Marijuana'.

I asked him if he had a patient that he knew was an alcoholic or an addict in recovery would he prescribe 'medical marijuana' for that person.

His IMMEDICATE ANSWER WITH NO HESITATION WAS "NO" I asked why. He stated, that no matter if they just had months or years, he and the patient would really have to discuss and analyze this BECAUSE the patient had 'different paths in his brain' and depending on their recovery time, and their last brain scan it would be a tricky thing for someone in recovery as it WOULD TRIGGER the urges to use and/or drink again, it would raise those dormant areas of the brain.

Now he also readily admitted that if the patient was in fact terminal, and if the patient want to try it to see if it would relief his pain and/or increase his appetite, he would prescribe it.

I was a bit 'surprised' at his answer but was grateful for it. I know he is a prescriber of 'medical marijuana to his patients that were in extreme pain and/or undergoing cancer treatment.

I personally would NOT take a 1 year chip if I had smoked week a couple of times in December that is just not me. It is between him and his Higher Power. AA is a program of HONESTY and he knows if he shares it with his sponsor, if he has one, he will be told to change his sobriety date. It is responsibility to make the decision to change or not change his date based on what he has learned about the 'tools' and the 'program' of AA.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

At one meeting I attended for a awhile, there was a man who stood up for various medals every week. He was six months one week, a year the next week, 10 years a couple of weeks later.

Before one meeting someone asked the meeting chair if there wasn't some way to tell this guy to stop taking medals.

The man chairing the meeting said, "Who knows what personal goal he is celebrating? Not me."

And so...I'd stay right out of anyone's decision to pick up a memento of an achievement.

Langkah, your breakfast could be chicken andouille sausage, sliced thin and fried with some vidalia onions and butter. On the side, cheese grits. And on the side of that, slices of mango with fresh lime juice drizzled over. At least that's what I would like to have. Hope you got some good sleep.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by pangur View Post
Augustwest, I'm just about to go to bed, so sorry if this sounds bad. I'm not trying to vilify what you said. I agree 100% that if you have a problem with something, don't do it. A couple of hits from a bong? We're all different, whatever turns you on. I can honestly say, and coming from me that's asking a lot, but I can honestly say, I have no desire to smoke maryjane to the same extent that I want to drink tea/coffee/cola/horlicks/milk/ginger ale. It just doesn't push my buttons. Yes, I enjoy it, but in the same way. I feel no need to do it later.
A shot of Jameson... oh dear!
whatever someone does to improve the state of their life, even smoking pot, is fine by me. i tried to be clear that my post was in 1st person.

seven years ago i got sober after a dui. went to treatment and aa. a few months in i smoked pot a 'couple' of times. seemed harmless. a little while after that i smoked some pot, and in that state it seemed appropriate that something more was in order. so i drank. and within 72 hours i was just as bad off as before. fast forward 3 years and a vicious opiate habit that i'd picked up and i enter another treatment center. i get clean and start going to na. three months or so in i rationalized smoking pot 'just this once' because of a sitation i found myself in. before the buzz had wore off i found myself thinking 'man i feel great, but i would love to feel better'. so i had a margarita. then another. the following day i bought a bottle of tequila. the day after that i went to see my dopeman and back on heroin and oxycontin.

this was my experience. this was real. along the way i have met tons of people who had the same experience. but i have also known people with drinking problems, or a specific drug problem that were able to kick the habit, and then sensibly use whatever substance wasn't their problem. the conclusion i came to is such people have a drug or alcohol issue, but do not suffer from the disease of addiction. that's great for them!

i'm not one of those people. for me it's not about claiming bogus clean time or not. it's simply about not re-igniting that eternal flame of addiction that dwells within me.

my body does not know the difference ultimately. i learned this clearly when i had a surgical procedure that required narcotics after a year clean and sober. i was under doctor care, took them as prescribed, had the support of my sponsor, friends, family. i didn't even keep the pills in my house. but that small, prescribed, and necessary dose had me totally restless and discontent. in spite of my intentions and precautions it had me wanting more. it had me wanting to get as high as a bat and check out. i didn't get high and returned to a normal state for me fairly quickly but that experience was a real eye opener for me. it increased my vigilance.

if someone can stop drinking but smoke pot without any conseqences, both physical and emotional then i say more power to them. i don't care if they claim medallions either. the honesty business is between them and their higher power and their own intrepretation of what sober means.

i just have enough personal experience, and people i care about with the same stories, that felt compelled to share the other side of the coin, no pun intended, as it really has nothing to do with medallions, aa, or claimed clean time. it's about personal safety and freedom from the chains of addiction.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
whatever someone does to improve the state of their life, even smoking pot, is fine by me. i tried to be clear that my post was in 1st person.

seven years ago i got sober after a dui. went to treatment and aa. a few months in i smoked pot a 'couple' of times. seemed harmless. a little while after that i smoked some pot, and in that state it seemed appropriate that something more was in order. so i drank. and within 72 hours i was just as bad off as before. fast forward 3 years and a vicious opiate habit that i'd picked up and i enter another treatment center. i get clean and start going to na. three months or so in i rationalized smoking pot 'just this once' because of a sitation i found myself in. before the buzz had wore off i found myself thinking 'man i feel great, but i would love to feel better'. so i had a margarita. then another. the following day i bought a bottle of tequila. the day after that i went to see my dopeman and back on heroin and oxycontin.

this was my experience. this was real. along the way i have met tons of people who had the same experience. but i have also known people with drinking problems, or a specific drug problem that were able to kick the habit, and then sensibly use whatever substance wasn't their problem. the conclusion i came to is such people have a drug or alcohol issue, but do not suffer from the disease of addiction. that's great for them!

i'm not one of those people. for me it's not about claiming bogus clean time or not. it's simply about not re-igniting that eternal flame of addiction that dwells within me.

my body does not know the difference ultimately. i learned this clearly when i had a surgical procedure that required narcotics after a year clean and sober. i was under doctor care, took them as prescribed, had the support of my sponsor, friends, family. i didn't even keep the pills in my house. but that small, prescribed, and necessary dose had me totally restless and discontent. in spite of my intentions and precautions it had me wanting more. it had me wanting to get as high as a bat and check out. i didn't get high and returned to a normal state for me fairly quickly but that experience was a real eye opener for me. it increased my vigilance.

if someone can stop drinking but smoke pot without any conseqences, both physical and emotional then i say more power to them. i don't care if they claim medallions either. the honesty business is between them and their higher power and their own intrepretation of what sober means.

i just have enough personal experience, and people i care about with the same stories, that felt compelled to share the other side of the coin, no pun intended, as it really has nothing to do with medallions, aa, or claimed clean time. it's about personal safety and freedom from the chains of addiction.
Well said. Hard to argue with your first-hand experience and your comments may encourage others to take heed accordingly.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i don't like the attention and ego crap that arises when i pick up a medallion or keytag. the only reason i do it is so the newcomer can see that this way of life is actually a reality for people.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I carry mine around in my pocket just as a reminder of where I used to be if an urge to use hits me.

It also helps show any hopeless newcomers that sobriety is possible.

God bless.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I know what I'm doing with my recovery and I am exstatic about how far I have come. I "god willing" will have a year in a few short weeks, and I know personally the aspects of my life that have vastly improved through my decision to stop drinking. Worrying about what another person is doing is taking their inventory and I don't know about any one else, but I just don't really have time for that or feel that I should judge them unless I am sponsoring that someone which I do not sponsor yet (maybe soon ).

As for Dee's responses, I have already spoken to her about this in the past and I agree whole heartedly. This conversation is a waste of energy and although some may like to have it which is fine, it doesn't belong on a recovery website, end of story. I hope you all have an amazing Monday and do something to further your recovery!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I don't know, but I guess I'd also have to wonder about the emotional state of the friend boycotting the medallion ceremony (and apparently trying to get others to do so). I mean, getting all worked up about what someone else is doing, openly judging them, plotting a passive-aggressive response three months ahead of time... that's the kind of petty thought-patterns I engaged in back when I was drinking.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I don't know, but I guess I'd also have to wonder about the emotional state of the friend boycotting the medallion ceremony (and apparently trying to get others to do so). I mean, getting all worked up about what someone else is doing, openly judging them, plotting a passive-aggressive response three months ahead of time... that's the kind of petty thought-patterns I engaged in back when I was drinking.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Yes I do think that he should get his 1 year medallion . If I am correct in my way of thinking AA is alcoholics anonymous. A.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab and every night was circle time and it came to giving out these coins I was like, "ehhhh here we go again". THen having to go through the Lord's Prayer, oyyyyy yaa yaa. I haven't prayed over 10 yrs like that, and on top of it all, I'm not even catholic nor ever was and that's a Catholic Lord's Prayer. It really should be a moment of silence and let everyone reflect according to their own beliefs or non beliefs.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

ya the lords prayer makes me cringe and i don't say it. but i still go to the meetings that do say it. hell, my favorite aa meeting says the lords prayer. but fortunately most in my area do not.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

i have to say a coin never kept me sober.
i dont believe in them.
time means nothing...
if you drove for 30 yrs without an accident does that mean that tomorrow you wont have one? no
whoever got up the earliest today has the most sobriety.
so this discussion is really a mute point in my opinion.
god bless you all in your personal recovery and to quote john lennon whatever gets you through the night is alright..
for me it is not taking that first drink
Old 01-17-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

On one side we have "fanatical AA" on the other side defenders of "technicalities" Whatever way you rationilize it its not sobriety. Period. Man, my brain hurts. Just sayin....
Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

If he can't pick up a chip all the coffee drinkers and cigarette smokers need to give back their chips too.

I gave up caffeine at the same time I quit alcohol. Let me tell you caffeine is a mind altering substance too. It comes complete with withdrawal symptoms and cravings as well. What matters is, if your friend is addicted to the substance? Was he smoking 4 joints a day from dusk til dawn or can he take a couple tokes and leave it? Only your friend can answer that question so it's best to let him answer it for himself...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UofI2008 View Post
If he can't pick up a chip all the coffee drinkers and cigarette smokers need to give back their chips too.
You are probably right........
Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

It doesn't mess my sobriety so I won't judge. I'll just focus on me today.

Not that I don't have an opinion on this issue .. but, hell, I have an opinion on pretty much everything. If I took the time to tell them all to you we would be here for years and my opinions really don't mean that much when it comes down to it.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
polyaddicted cocanut

sweet, he's got the same sobriety date as me. If it were me, I would be back at square one- be it one hit off of a joint of some low quality weed or one intentional sip of a beer. That's all it takes for me, but those are my standards

I've met people on here who were still celebrating their sobriety/recovery and smoking weed daily so.... I think it's absurd, but if that's what they wanna do that's what they wanna do, it's none of my concern
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

kiki
the lords prayer is not a catholic prayer ....
it is the prayer given to us by JESUS himself...
it is a prayer for all humankind kind hence it's introduction our father

people like you ???????????????????????????????????////
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

a lot of people in the rooms don't believe in Jesus, or God in the judeo-christian father/creator sense. many don't believe in God at all.