Notices

Any Writers?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Any Writers?

One of my goals and has been for years is to write a memoir. Id love to find a writing group in my area. The only one Ive found is a bunch of senior citizen women lol. I have eighteen pages already. I find it hard to sit down and find the inspiration bc its hard for me to get in touch with my feelings. I hope to one day get it published.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
One of my goals and has been for years is to write a memoir. Id love to find a writing group in my area. The only one Ive found is a bunch of senior citizen women lol. I have eighteen pages already. I find it hard to sit down and find the inspiration bc its hard for me to get in touch with my feelings. I hope to one day get it published.
I'm a writer, though a very rusty one at the moment, lol.

I've done freelancing for about ten years. Worked for two local magazines until I was laid off in 2009. (LOVED that job and still miss it every day!) Personally, I've done a little poetry, some short stories. I recently started a story about the "joys" of temping that a friend and I want to make into a film short.

I don't know if you are on Linked In but they have a wonderful support group called Aspiring Writers. If you are interested PM me with your Linked In info and I can send you an invitation to join the group.

Happy writing!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome! ! I've Bern writing for years n then stopped when my drinking got crazy. I have about 50,000 words written..about 4750 pages n have lacked inspiration lately. I use writing as my outlet.. good luck.. let me know if y need anything!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Sure will do. I am rereading "Lit" by Mary Karr and she inspires me so much she is an amazing writer and her story has really helped me and I would like to inspire others too.

Ill have to join Linked In.

You know what would make a great skit my time in the psych unit watching this severnty year old lady cuss out the younger guys on the ward it was hillarious.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Wow NeedtoStop thats amazing and sure will thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd love to write a screenplay. Studied creative writing at college and was really good at it (crap at journalism, but a whizz at the creative stuff).

I never got around to it because I have been drinking too much for so long.

I am on Day 13 now and am starting to remember and realise my potential. I am 40 this year and want to have it done by then.

I think I needed to live before I started writing a screenplay anyway.

I am looking forward to getting started in the coming weeks
Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Maybe we should create a writing group to inspire and motivate eachother
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fabulous idea
Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
Maybe we should create a writing group to inspire and motivate eachother
That's a really super idea!

As I said, I'm rusty. Lately I've been more satisfed expressing myself through the visual arts but it would do me some good to stretch my legs a bit and get out of my comfort zone.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I am rusty too. I am also a huge perfectionist who feels that my writing and grammar should be perfect on the first draft which then prevents me from writing bc I am so focused on the grammar lol
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, two people called Rusty. What are the odds?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ters-here.html
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck!

I'm a writer and I too write memoir. I belong to a local writing group that meets once a week and critiques our work. I would recommend joining something like this; it is very helpful. I found my group years ago on ***** MeetUps.

Writing can be very therapeutic. Yet I also write to entertain/say something to the reader, and I think these are two different things. But either or both are helpful and constructive in recovery, for sure!

There's that old adage that says the way to become a writer is to write. The apply-the-seat-of-your-pants to the chair theory. Really I have found that to be the best advice I get. I am trying to be more serious about my endeavors in life, and right now I haven't gotten to writing (I am serious about sobriety, and making big changes in my career), but I think the principles I am learning in recovery/AA can apply to writing as well, as soon as I have time to get there.

Best wishes.